The Curtis Niedermier & Ross Robertson book Walleye Trolling The Curtis Niedermier & Ross Robertson book Walleye Trolling The Curtis Niedermier & Ross Robertson book Walleye Trolling The Curtis Niedermier & Ross Robertson book Walleye Trolling

Default The Curtis Niedermier & Ross Robertson book Walleye Trolling

As the season has wound down for many and the conversations on the forum has slowed,
    I went back for a another review of the Walleye Trolling book to see what I can pick up this time as I go through. The authors were talking about crank baits and how they put fish in the boat during any season which we know, but then they discussed cold water baits, warm water baits and then they mentioned one bait in particular that I don't recall anyone on this site ever mentioning before. They said a particularly good bait that works well in the early season running 1.5mph up through the heat of summer at 2.5mph is the
    Reef Runner Deep Little Ripper. What do you men and ladies see in your pursuits?
    Thanks

Just a smaller version of the 800 reef runner. Definitely catches in the summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Duck View Post
    As the season has wound down for many and the conversations on the forum has slowed,
    I went back for a another review of the Walleye Trolling book to see what I can pick up this time as I go through. The authors were talking about crank baits and how they put fish in the boat during any season which we know, but then they discussed cold water baits, warm water baits and then they mentioned one bait in particular that I don't recall anyone on this site ever mentioning before. They said a particularly good bait that works well in the early season running 1.5mph up through the heat of summer at 2.5mph is the
    Reef Runner Deep Little Ripper. What do you men and ladies see in your pursuits?
    Thanks
    I still use the Deep Little Ripper and have caught some dandy fish on them. Really like the purple. After a while in the season I get bored and start using all sorts of lures, especially when I know where the active fish are and how deep the lures drive. Along with the other methods to get them down. Sometimes it just takes some time to get some confidence in them.

Sort of strange how things can be. Last weekend Bob (itsbob) and I fished and we caught all of the fish on one specific rod. Even though we had two rods set up identical only the one of our four rods seem to have mojo. Last Summer just for fun, I rigged up a 6 inch spoon behind a magnum tadpole. The treble itself is giant. I was way East of Kellys marking fish deep. Funny but I caught the most of my fish that day on that rig. Some of them were shorts too. I am convinced that they will all catch fish if the fish are there and you get it to them. Oh- and having some MOJO helps Some seem to have more than others do.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Next time you notice something like that, where you have 2 baits 1 on each side of the boat running same depths but only 1 working try swapping sides. If only the same works there is something clearly different........sometimes it a gummy or bad bearing in a swivel, of the line counter to actual distance might be off.

Sometimes it's just the way current runs..........have seen all fish come on 1 side of the boat........till you go the other way then the other side starting working and hot side die till you turn around again.

As much as we think we can control and adjust there us alot we can do anything about.

Last week in Cleveland they were only hitting on turns........but they were coming on both the fast and slow side so it wasnt a speed thing........but going straight didnt work.........so something about the fact of the crankbaits just changing was the trigger.
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Thanks, if that happens again, I will give it a try.

Kent
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Thanks Ben,Read a lengthly discussion on this same topic on OGF last month and the most likely conclusion was current causing the one side to outfish the other.We did run in several directions and made turns.My rods were calibrated so it couldn't have been difference in length of line.Could have been my 2oz sinker weight being different or maybe the action of the bandit.I did have my tuning tool out and made sure the cranks were running straight.In actuality,i probably did not run the second crank long enough to really compare it to the one that caught the 4 fish.The bites were so spaced out,that by the time had caught 2 fish on that lure,we didn't really run the second one for more than 90min.I should have been changing the leads,lures and colors more frequently when we were catching so slow.Maybe might get out once more this season.Been watching Windsurf for another calm day.