Fishing with Dave and Debbie DeVroy 9/11/19 Fishing with Dave and Debbie DeVroy 9/11/19 Fishing with Dave and Debbie DeVroy 9/11/19 Fishing with Dave and Debbie DeVroy 9/11/19

Default Fishing with Dave and Debbie DeVroy 9/11/19

Just a quick note about Day Two with Bob, Mike, and Larry yesterday.....great guys to fish with, but the fishing sucked out of Huron for us yesterday. We only caught 7 small eaters, so there wasn't much to talk about. Deep sigh....lol

This morning was a new day. I was apprehensive as I got things ready though, because I was worried that my Wisconsin crew came all the way down here and the bite was slowing down. I wanted to keep a positive outlook and reminded myself that I was going out of Mazurik's today and the wind forecast was promising a beautiful day. So, with that in mind, I headed out the door at 6:15 and headed over to the White Caps Motel to pick up my Wisco peeps.

They were ready and waiting for me to arrive at 6:20 and hopped in the old truck, and off we went into town to gas up, grab some ice, and head over to Mazurik's to launch.

We launched at 7am and headed NE to start. I went back to the spot where my previous crew had caught that nice 30 incher the other day, to see if those fish were still in the area. That was up at the 37/35 line.

We set up with the usual dipsy program using the zero, 1 1/2, and 3 settings on each side of the boat. Dave had run dipsies before, but never for walleye. I said, "It's the same", and got busy setting spoons out. We started with mostly blue/silver combos, since that was the hot color on previous trips.

The zero setting was set at 50 and 55 back. The 1 1/2 setting was set at 70-75 back, and the three setting was set at 100 back. Speed was 2.5 mph.

We caught two up in that area, but the marks on the Helix were not what I wanted to see on the sonar. Meanwhile, Capt Eric Litton, on the "Pirate Clipper", had sent me a text stating where he was, and that they caught two while setting lines, and it looked good marks-wise. He was on an easterly troll. I made the decision to move straight down to where he was and set up in 44' of water off the south shore.

He was about a mile and a half east of me when I got down there, and I noticed he was making a turn to come back, so I decided to stick to the area I arrived in and set the Ulterra on a WSW trolling pass.

I eventually took the zero setting lines out of the lineup and ran just the two dipsies on each side...to minimize tangles that kept happnening for some reason). I swapped out three blue/silvers for a watermelon, fried chicken, and my favorite purple with the chart stripe down one side (pictured in the fishes mouth in one of the pictures). The fried chicken and that purple one were very good producers!

Our catch rate started to pick up as we made our way west, and when the marks would run out, we turned around and made the same pass to the ENE. I would say we were only making 1/2-3/4 mile passes back and forth over a smaller school of walleye and picking them off at a rate of 3-4 per pass. We ended the day with our three person limit, and a handful of extras that we either threw back to grow bigger, or because they were fish that were on when we pulled lines to head in.

It was a beautiful day to be on the water today, and Dave and Debbie had a great time. My feeling of dread early this morning was replaced with a renewed sense of success, and that made me happy! Thanks, Eric for the tip! You saved my day...lol

I'm off tomorrow, and Friday's trip might be rescheduled to Saturday, due to weather.

Stay tuned....

Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with Dave and Debbie DeVroy 9/11/19-dave-debbie-devroy-9_11_19a-jpg Fishing with Dave and Debbie DeVroy 9/11/19-dave-debbie-devroy-9_11_19b-jpg Fishing with Dave and Debbie DeVroy 9/11/19-dave-debbie-devroy-9_11_19c-jpg Fishing with Dave and Debbie DeVroy 9/11/19-dave-debbie-devroy-9_11_19d-jpg Fishing with Dave and Debbie DeVroy 9/11/19-img_5871-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

just wondering do you use the ring on dipsies? love reading your fishing reports and looking at pics.

Quote Originally Posted by verno View Post
    just wondering do you use the ring on dipsies? love reading your fishing reports and looking at pics.
    Im not sure what you’re asking? I use the rings on my dipsies all the time.
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by verno View Post
    I don't know anybody that don't use the rings. maybe a few guys on the western basin. just a little fyi from another fisherman.

we all love your posts jul's. just don't post it often enough.

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post

we all love your posts jul's. just don't post it often enough.
    Thanks, but there aren't enough hours in a day. I am a one person crew, so all the boat/fishing stuff, house work, yard work, and animal care, every day, all falls on me. I'm lucky I find the time to post anything at all.
    [email protected]

Juls,You post more frequently and with a more detailed report than all the posts I read.Love to read too.We know you have a full plate with working your charter and taking care of home and dogs.I was tempted to try 6 dipsey at once this season.Bought 2 more last off season and was going to try this year.But the fishing has been so good that I have not needed to try to increase them from 4 to 6.I have read that when using 3 dipsey on a side that you have to run pretty straight without tight turns and to weigh the dipsey and have the heaviest on the inside rod too.Read about you getting some tangles with 3 on a side and made me think of issues with the 6 dipsies at once.Good luck through the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Juls,You post more frequently and with a more detailed report than all the posts I read.Love to read too.We know you have a full plate with working your charter and taking care of home and dogs.I was tempted to try 6 dipsey at once this season.Bought 2 more last off season and was going to try this year.But the fishing has been so good that I have not needed to try to increase them from 4 to 6.I have read that when using 3 dipsey on a side that you have to run pretty straight without tight turns and to weigh the dipsey and have the heaviest on the inside rod too.Read about you getting some tangles with 3 on a side and made me think of issues with the 6 dipsies at once.Good luck through the rest of the season.
    I'm sure it was just the current where I was at, and the direction I was going in relation to it, that was causing that problem. We ran 6 in other areas with no issues.
    [email protected]

There has been some wicked currentbin those areas several times this season, had several trip where 1 side looked like cannon balls were on not dipseys, but the other side looked like your were dragging dipseys that had the release tripped.

It can play some mind trips on you for sure when you get into that stuff
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    Thanks, but there aren't enough hours in a day. I am a one person crew, so all the boat/fishing stuff, house work, yard work, and animal care, every day, all falls on me. I'm lucky I find the time to post anything at all.
    I think Sherman meant we don’t post our appreciation enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    I think Sherman meant we don’t post our appreciation enough.
    Ahhhh...yes, you might be right. My bad...
    [email protected]