Lake Erie Harmful Algal Bloom Lake Erie Harmful Algal Bloom Lake Erie Harmful Algal Bloom Lake Erie Harmful Algal Bloom

Default Lake Erie Harmful Algal Bloom

The Algal Bloom is starting to make headlines and it has a couple of my fishing buddies spooked. We have a walleye fishing trip planned this weekend and they're wondering if it impacts the walleye fishing in any way. Specifically, they're worried if it's possible the walleye get contaminated and are therefore not safe to eat. I have never heard of such a thing, but promised I'd reach out to the experts on this forum to confirm. Thanks...

Generally we fish outside of the thick algae that you're seeing on the news casts, however, I've never heard of it being dangerous to fish through the algae.

I don't know of a charter captain who wouldn't hunt for clean water for paying customers, but I suppose it's possible depending on the conditions.

Personally, I get out to clean water to fish. I haven't fished through the thick algae yet, and I don't plan on it in the future.
    2003 Wellcraft Coastal 270

The algae bloom does not effect the health of the fish or contaminate the filets.Pooh Bear told me years ago the algae did not effect the catch rate of fishing either.The warmer waters effects the catching more so than algae.The algae floats and the fish are in deeper,cooler waters now.So the fish are not in contact with very much of the algae.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

There are studies going on covering several aspects of the algae bloom, including the consumption of game fish such as walleye and yellow perch caught in and around the algae blooms. Everything I've read on the Lake Erie subject suggests walleye caught around or in the algae bloom wouldn't be unsafe to eat, as long as you stay within the current EPA fish consumption advisories. Do an Internet search on the subject and you can find State and university / Sea Grant information on the subject.

Remember Lake Erie is very large, and the fish, when they come in contact with water conditions they don't like, simply move to water more to their liking. It's not like a pond or small lake where fish have limited ability to escape water conditions. A Lake Erie walleye can swim in and out of an algae bloom in the Lake in a matter of hours, or a half day, not to mention going deeper.

The algae bloom is thick on the south west end of the lake, with maybe a slight break north. I like to take a peak at the Lake Erie MODIS Imagery before most trips out, its good for seeing the algae areas, as well as mud lines. If you want to "try" to find a clearer area to fish, give it a look.

As our ret cap said,the satellite view will tell you where the algae bloom is progressing.Would love to have frequent views of our western end in the spring to see the muddy,stained and clean water.Unfortunately,at that time of year seams we are lucky to get a view once a week.