Things that you find odd??? Things that you find odd??? Things that you find odd??? Things that you find odd???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Things that you find odd???

The farther forward your boards run the easier it is to get an outside board to cross over. I know some people run little boards set to release the front clip, but what's the reasoning some people run their trees near the back of the boat?
    Last edited by Prkr314; 08-12-2019 at 07:50 AM.

I’m not sure what you mean? My rods are mounted across the back of my boat but I wrap my line on the front clip so I don’t have the problem with the braid slipping. I have to bring my boards in on the side. Maybe I’m one of the “odd” people you are referring to.

We don't have to say odd, you can call it different. When your running 6 or more little boards and you hook into a 10+lb fish that totally sinks your board farthest from the boat. It naturally wants to go back and to the middle, how in the world do you get it to come up the side without moving all the boards on that side out of the way? For me the farther forward you can get your boards to run and a fish naturally goes back and to middle, all you have to do give the fish a few seconds to pull the board back and he reels right down the middle without moving anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    I’m not sure what you mean? My rods are mounted across the back of my boat but I wrap my line on the front clip so I don’t have the problem with the braid slipping. I have to bring my boards in on the side. Maybe I’m one of the “odd” people you are referring to.

Since I don’t release my small boards from the clip the direction of the board keeps it moving to the side. Are you saying I can still get the board to move to center when it is still in the front clip? I’m trying to learn from you. Maybe I’m doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    Since I don’t release my small boards from the clip the direction of the board keeps it moving to the side. Are you saying I can still get the board to move to center when it is still in the front clip? I’m trying to learn from you. Maybe I’m doing it wrong.
    I'm not saying your wrong, just seems harder way of doing it. My little boards aren't set to release either.
    Last edited by Prkr314; 08-14-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Help me out here. I want to learn the easiest way to do this. How do you keep your board from following the angle that brings it to the side? No matter how I reel them in they always go to the side they are set up for. I can never get them to fall behind and go to the back. I have dragged fish without knowing before and the board still doesn’t go to the back. And when I start reeling it in it ALWAYS goes to the side that the angle on the board cuts it to. I simply turn the boat slightly to give me room to bring it in. I don’t pull any other boards and I do run 3 per side.

When we are using multiple inline boards on one side and an outside board has a fish,i grab the rod which is 8'6" and go to opposite side of boat and reel fairly fast.The board will sort of skip on the top of the water till I get it past the inside board.Then I slow down the retrieve to bring the fish in.Another help to bring that outside board in,is to turn the boat away from side the fish is on.If its a bigger fish,the board will almost get pulled right behind boat without even reeling.But smaller fish,junk or just wanting to check line will require you to skip that board over surface.Also,the outside boards should always have a longer lead than an inside board to prevent tangles.Hope this helps.

All this is why I like my releasing clips, they do have to wrapped correctly or they dont release and they did take some getting used to. But now I love them, just a small flick and around its coming.........and longer a 3 way fight..........
    When reeling in with the board running you have the boat going forward, board going out, fish pulling back, with the board running you can't feel if the fish is swimming up getting slack in the line.

Using releasing clips will also allow you to run shallow leads away from the boat into the water where the fish might now be spooked by the boat as it could with the shallow lead being in the inside.

Neither way is wrong or right just a different way of doing the same thing.

I do run my holder's as far forward as possible this gives me as much footage to get the boards behind in the event of a failed release. When this happens, I also go to the other side to gain room, I have also loosened my drag with my clicker on to get the board falling back but not so fast to slack the line.

I think board spacing is key too
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 08-14-2019 at 08:12 PM.
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Things that are "different". This year at the launch on several occasions I seen boats with snubbers hooked up in front of the dipsy instead of behind and the reel filled with braided line. It got the best of me and I finally had to ask one guy the reason for this, his answer "it works for me". Over the years I have seen many different set-ups for trolling, heck I still use mono on my small boards. I have had many strange looks and one guy finally asked me why I was using downriggers on shallow Lake Erie, then he almost fainted when I told him I also run a stacker on them! I certainly do use downriggers w/stackers running scorpion spoons and some might think I've lost my mind Why do I? Because it puts walleye in the box and it "works for me"!

I also use downriggers, but most put a snubbed behind the ball then a 6ft leaders and a small crank like a j7. Run a few ft off the bottom, some days it's so hot I brings in a fish every few minutes, normally through July
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters