Fishing with the Jordan Crew 8/10/19 Fishing with the Jordan Crew 8/10/19 Fishing with the Jordan Crew 8/10/19 Fishing with the Jordan Crew 8/10/19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fishing with the Jordan Crew 8/10/19

I was supposed to fish with Brian Jordan and his sons, Brain and Brad, yesterday, but with the wind forecast what it was, I asked them if they could fish today instead. They said they could, if I could pick them up from Kelly's at 8am.

I left Mazurik's at 7:40 and hit the island marina on time. They were ready to go and climbed in the Ranger when I pulled up to the dock. I made the usual morning, "get to know you" chit-chat as we idled out of the marina. I turned the boat and we headed NE.

As we got closer to a big pack of boats, I could tell my guys were getting excited. I didn't have the heart to tell them that we had a much longer ride to do yet, so I said...with my arm stretched out and pointing to the horizon..."We're going out there. We have about 5 miles to go yet." They settled in and we listened to the ETEC purr as it breathed in and out of rpms as we rode the trough.

Once the Helix started marking some fish on a regular basis, I came off plane and deployed the Ulterra and the baby E-TEC and set up on a SE troll, so the waves were on one corner of the boat.

Once again....the usual program, but this time, all Ripplin Redfins were on the dipsies. Speed with the crank program is 2.2-2.5mph. Faster with just spoons.

The dipsies on the zero setting were set at 50 and 60 back.

The dipsies on the three setting were set at 85 and 92 back.

We ran two Off Shore boards off each side too. The port side started with two Bandits...100 back on the outside board and 85 back on the inside board, and the starboard side had two Bay Rats set at 125 back and 115 back. The Bay Rats caught 2 and the Bandits caught 1.

After we moved up to make another pass, I switched out the Bay Rats for Reapers, and the Bandits for #11 Flicker Minnows. The Reapers were set at 100 and 85 back and the Flicker Minnows were set at 100 and 85 back also. The reapers caught 2 and the Flicker Minnows caught 2 or 3.

The majority of the catch was on the dipsies with Ripplin Redfins. I did put on a silver hammered "Scorpion" spoon on one of the 3 setting dipsies, and it caught fish too. So, what did we learn here? It didn't matter what crank they saw...they ate it.

We had a nice steady bite of really nice "eaters", which wasn't too fast and not too slow, so my guys kept busy and had a great time. We took a nice easy ride back to Kelly's after the 24th fish was put in the cooler.

I'm off tomorrow, but will be back out Monday. My big brother, Jack, who is in Detroit on business, will be staying with me Sunday night, and then fishing with me and two of his work associates on Monday. He will be the first family member to go fishing with me here on Lake Erie, so I'm looking forward to it! Monday's weather is looking fantastic, so it should be a great trip.

Like me, he loves chicken livers too, so I'll be making those for breakfast instead of hitting up Big Bopper's that morning.

Stay tuned....

Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with the Jordan Crew 8/10/19-brian-brad-brian-8_10_19a-jpg Fishing with the Jordan Crew 8/10/19-brian-brad-brian-8_10_19b-jpg Fishing with the Jordan Crew 8/10/19-brian-brad-brian-8_10_19c-jpg Fishing with the Jordan Crew 8/10/19-brian-brad-brian-8_10_19d-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

I saw you at Speedway this morning then again at the ramp and I’ll be darned if we didn’t end up fishing the same area Northeast! I wanted to catch you and introduce myself but was always a step behind. Great job as always Juls!

Great report Juls. Are Bandits effective at higher speeds, say 2. 5 to 3.0? We run Bandits on boards and spoons on dipseys, and sometimes get our speed up to 3.0. I guess what I'm asking is there a top end speed for Bandits? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PatSea View Post
    Great report Juls. Are Bandits effective at higher speeds, say 2. 5 to 3.0? We run Bandits on boards and spoons on dipseys, and sometimes get our speed up to 3.0. I guess what I'm asking is there a top end speed for Bandits? Thanks.
    I'm sure there is, but I haven't found it yet. As long as they are tuned...3.0 shouldn't be a problem.
    [email protected]

Thanks Capt. Juls

Hi Juls,

Great report. Your insight is always appreciated. I normally run worm harnesses off in-line boards with inline weights. I was wondering if you have any experience running spoons this way or if you have an opinion if it will work well or not?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigredsmokey View Post
    Hi Juls,

Great report. Your insight is always appreciated. I normally run worm harnesses off in-line boards with inline weights. I was wondering if you have any experience running spoons this way or if you have an opinion if it will work well or not?

Thanks!
    Sure! If you're not able to run dipsies, then, running Off Shore Tackle Tadpoles (size 1 and 2's) behind your boards, with a 5-6 foot leader will work too. Tru-Trip Jet 30's will also work behind Off Shore boards...40's pull too hard behind inline boards. The reason I would use the Tadpole over the inline weight in this scenario is that the Tadpole is a diving weight and will keep a better depth and is less affected by any wave surges as the inline weight would be.

Give it a try. Good luck!
    [email protected]

Default Dipsy info

Question on your ft back, do you zero your counter with dips at tip of rod or where depsy touches water ??

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    I was supposed to fish with Brian Jordan and his sons, Brain and Brad, yesterday, but with the wind forecast what it was, I asked them if they could fish today instead. They said they could, if I could pick them up from Kelly's at 8am.

I left Mazurik's at 7:40 and hit the island marina on time. They were ready to go and climbed in the Ranger when I pulled up to the dock. I made the usual morning, "get to know you" chit-chat as we idled out of the marina. I turned the boat and we headed NE.

As we got closer to a big pack of boats, I could tell my guys were getting excited. I didn't have the heart to tell them that we had a much longer ride to do yet, so I said...with my arm stretched out and pointing to the horizon..."We're going out there. We have about 5 miles to go yet." They settled in and we listened to the ETEC purr as it breathed in and out of rpms as we rode the trough.

Once the Helix started marking some fish on a regular basis, I came off plane and deployed the Ulterra and the baby E-TEC and set up on a SE troll, so the waves were on one corner of the boat.

Once again....the usual program, but this time, all Ripplin Redfins were on the dipsies. Speed with the crank program is 2.2-2.5mph. Faster with just spoons.

The dipsies on the zero setting were set at 50 and 60 back.

The dipsies on the three setting were set at 85 and 92 back.

We ran two Off Shore boards off each side too. The port side started with two Bandits...100 back on the outside board and 85 back on the inside board, and the starboard side had two Bay Rats set at 125 back and 115 back. The Bay Rats caught 2 and the Bandits caught 1.

After we moved up to make another pass, I switched out the Bay Rats for Reapers, and the Bandits for #11 Flicker Minnows. The Reapers were set at 100 and 85 back and the Flicker Minnows were set at 100 and 85 back also. The reapers caught 2 and the Flicker Minnows caught 2 or 3.

The majority of the catch was on the dipsies with Ripplin Redfins. I did put on a silver hammered "Scorpion" spoon on one of the 3 setting dipsies, and it caught fish too. So, what did we learn here? It didn't matter what crank they saw...they ate it.

We had a nice steady bite of really nice "eaters", which wasn't too fast and not too slow, so my guys kept busy and had a great time. We took a nice easy ride back to Kelly's after the 24th fish was put in the cooler.

I'm off tomorrow, but will be back out Monday. My big brother, Jack, who is in Detroit on business, will be staying with me Sunday night, and then fishing with me and two of his work associates on Monday. He will be the first family member to go fishing with me here on Lake Erie, so I'm looking forward to it! Monday's weather is looking fantastic, so it should be a great trip.

Like me, he loves chicken livers too, so I'll be making those for breakfast instead of hitting up Big Bopper's that morning.

Stay tuned....

Capt Juls

Quote Originally Posted by Barry1315 View Post
    Question on your ft back, do you zero your counter with dips at tip of rod or where depsy touches water ??
    I zero it with the dipsey at the tip of the rod. I'm not really sure what you mean by "or where the dipsey touches the water"? Have you used dipsies before?
    [email protected]

Hi Juls, question. I’m biting my nails to fish Erie, Cory and I fished with you last August. Little wet but learned a lot about dipsy divers. Enjoyed fishing with you.
    With your brother coming from Detroit (out of state), does this cause problems at launch? I’m assuming with your Ranger licensed in Ohio, it’s OK.
    I’m assuming Ohio still has the out of state order enforced. All these State orders seem to land in many gray areas. Not trying to cause you any problems, I have much respect for you on the water and your efforts with Humane shelter. Have you heard any changes concerning out of state anglers,
    Or is this mostly out of state boats that are easily recognized?
    Thanks much for your insight on this subject.
    Lund 1875 Sport Tyee
    Mercury Pro XS 150 4/stroke
    9.9 Pro Mercury kicker
    IPilot Ulterra 112
    Vessel View 703; Lowrance HD