Info on Dipsy divers Info on Dipsy divers Info on Dipsy divers Info on Dipsy divers
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Info on Dipsy divers

Hello all,
    I am pretty new the the trolling game, and was wondering how much is figured into the counter reel, while deploying Dipsy divers? Is the rod lengths and line leading down to the water takin into account, or are we over thinking things?
    Thanks, and good luck to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunt'in View Post
    Hello all,
    I am pretty new the the trolling game, and was wondering how much is figured into the counter reel, while deploying Dipsy divers? Is the rod lengths and line leading down to the water takin into account, or are we over thinking things?
    Thanks, and good luck to all.

Rod length,not so much, but most definitely the distant from where the rod is being held to the water surface should be taken into account........some boats sit much higher up than others. S coue if feet matters some days

Example from just yesterday..........where were trolling 50 jets on the corner, 60 back nothing, 65 hitting fish. Drop both the 65 both pulling fish. That 5 ft there in a 50 jet is about 1 ft of water depth......go figure.......but some days it's that picky
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Rod length not important.But when using dipseys you want your rod positioned horizontal in the rod holder,so rod tip is just a couple feet from water.Its also important to be consistant when letting the dipsey out,so have dipsey about 6" from rod tip when zero out the counter.Great tip I read about using dipseys is if not catching add 5ft and subtract 5ft from poles on each side till find depth catching.

Thanks for the info.
    Everytime we go out, we learn a little bit more.

Yeah walleye huntin,the more weapons in your arsenal the better hunter you become.I used to think the guys who used dipsey were poor trollers because weren't using boards.But have learned the art of using them more effectively.They are faster than any other way to set out,check or bring in fish.And they can go really deep.Last year we finally tried 4 dipsies.Took our lumps and got some tangles.The main problem we had last year was putting out the 3setting rod with the 1setting running in the water.The guys onOGF helped me correct the problem.To set out that 3 setting rod need to put in water on opposite side of boat to get the dipsey far enough behind the 1 setting rod.Then the #3 rod moves into proper position.I would also put a snubber on them and when you put them out,use clicker.If you put out too fast the dipsey could rotate and the line wrapped around it will prevent the mechanism from releasing.

Bob, why do you want those dipsey rods horizontal and only a few feet from the water?

LuckyDuck, it's because you want to minimize the amount of line above the water. The dive curves for dipsys and TTs are for the amount of line that's actually in the water. For example, let's say you're running a size #1 dipsy on zero base plate setting and let out 31 feet of line because we want to reach a target level of 20 feet. Well if your line counter is reading 31 feet but you're rod is in the vertical position and there's 12 feet of "wasted" line before its even touching the water, then you really only have 19 feet of line in the water and are therefore running your bait a lot shallower than you intended. Veteran trollers out there, please correct me if I'm wrong...

Line leading down is important. My rod holders set higher, and rod tips are higher than my neighbors so If I get a "hot" feet back reading from them, I usually add 4' to start, then adjust. We usually run a 3.5 setting rather than a 3 to get max distance from the boat, this is listed not on the charts or trolling bible so a little extrapolation is needed. A 1.5 setting is pretty easy to set, somewhere between 1 and 2 on the chart. If 3 people fishing, I run a 3.5/1.5/0 setting.

A neat test over a mud bottom is to be in say 20' of water and release line slowly until it starts bumping bottom, then you now know where 20 feet is in relation to your line out. (use that old chrome and yellow dispsy just in case)

Lucky duck,what both proceeding post is correct but can add that the rods are easier to read in horizontal position.The rod tips don't bounce as much and if got more than one rod out on that side can see the difference between the rod tips better also.If the dipsey mechanism releases and you don't see that rod tip move,the line on that rod will be angled back more and is easier to see on horizontal rod.With that being said we have fish on all the time that we didn't know were there.So if a rod is doing nothing for like 10min I will check it.I can pop dipsey bring up and down again in less than a minute.

I usually set my rod in the holder and let the diver just touch the water before setting the counter to zero. Then let the reel feed out the line with the clicker on. Can run 2 rods at a time on one side. Generally let the forward rod set to 3.5 out first to get it away from the boat.