Fishing with Eric and Rachel 7/21/19 Fishing with Eric and Rachel 7/21/19 Fishing with Eric and Rachel 7/21/19 Fishing with Eric and Rachel 7/21/19

Default Fishing with Eric and Rachel 7/21/19

Eric and Rachel came in from Nebraska, to spend some downtime from their EMT/Fire Fighter jobs, and to catch some wiley walleye here on Lake Erie's Western Basin.

I picked them up from the White Caps Motel at 4:30am and we headed into town to gas up the Ranger, pick up some ice for the coolers, and eat some breakfast at Big Bopper's, before launching out of Mazruik's at 5:30.

We headed up to the NE side of Kelly Island Shoal, but didn't find the fish I had there two days ago...this time, they were mostly sheepshead...."Baaaa". So, after trying to change the angle of the dangle in the current and waves a few times, with little success, I decided a move to the east would be in order. The wind was laying down nicely, so the ride was an easy one.

As we traveled, we came across a series of nets set that we had to dodge by going north to move above them. We took our time, because they were not easy to see, and I wasn't sure how many there would be. I think there were 5 or 6 in a row, but mostly inline, so it wasn't too hard to go around them. We made it to the weather buoy area and set up to the south of it with an easterly troll over 47 foot of water.

The Ulterra and the baby E-TEC worked together to control our speed at 2.3-2.4mph.

The dipsies were set on the zero and three settings....0@55 & 60...3@65.
    Since Eric is friends with the man who created the "Walleye Nation Creations" "Reaper" lure, we ran two of the three colors given to me this past spring to try out. I should have been running them a lot sooner, because they were very productive in catching walleye in this warm weather. If the board went back, it was guaranteed to be a walleye. We didn't catch any junk fish on them.
    We were running the Bubble Gum and Electric Tiger colors at 75 back.

Both Eric and Rachel caught on quick on how to set the dipsies and "pop" the mechanism to bring the fish in, so it was an easy day for me, and all I was doing was netting fish for them. They did a great job and had a lot of fun. After we had our 18 walleye in the cooler, we headed back in, because it was hot and sticky, and the black flies had finally found us out there.

I am scheduled to fish with them again tomorrow, but there's no way we would be going back out there with the winds that are forecast. Right now, iWindSurf is showing a sustained wind out of the north at 15 and gusts to 20. I'll see what it looks like in the morning when I get up at 2:45 and decide what the plan is then.

Stay tuned....

Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with Eric and Rachel 7/21/19-eric-rachel-7_21_19b-jpg Fishing with Eric and Rachel 7/21/19-eric-rachel-7_21_19c-jpg Fishing with Eric and Rachel 7/21/19-eric-rachel-7_21_19d-jpg Fishing with Eric and Rachel 7/21/19-eric-rachel-7_21_19e-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Had my office staff up to our lakehouse Sunday.Needed to buy more groceries for the party so made the short drive to Krogers in Catawba.As leaving,saw a spanking new white Ranger in parking lot.As got closer noticed it was Juls rig.Had a nice decal advertising her business on her Suv.There was one person in the SUV as I approached and noticed it was not Juls.The one passenger was Eric and asked him where Juls was? He said she was in store buying food for her dogs.I had talked to Juls once on phone but never met her in person.So talked to Eric for a while.He pretty much told me what was in her report.Said they had a good time fishing and raved on how great their charter captain was.He asked me if knew a good Italian restaurant.I was stumped,we used to go to Phils for Italian food,but they closed.I remembered there is a Italian place on route 53 but couldn't remember name.I suggested Jolly Rogers just a mile down road for good fried walleye and perch.I walked around the Ranger and checked out how it was set up and the two women came back.Introduced myself as fellow Walleye.Com fisherman and told her I enjoyed reading all of her great reports on this site.

Juls, We got a late start on Sunday and actually seen you loading up as we were in the staging lane. We ran up to the NE side of Kelly's Shoal and the screen was loaded with marks in the 18 to 25ft range in 44fow. We usually set rods with the main motor still in gear to get the jets down faster then adjust our speed when everything is down, but yesterday we got 3 keepers running 4 rods before we even had time to drop the kicker. They must have wanted it fast Sunday, I was running 3.1 on the main motor. As I changed over to the kicker my speed dropped for a few and we pulled a couple big white bass, then turned back NE after checking out that abandoned little orange sailboat, bumped my speed back around 2.9 and pulled the rest of our 12 with very little junk fish. jet 40s 55 back with helmut and purple boxer spoons catching almost all 12 in about 2 1/2 hrs. I think the best bite was around 39N/36.5W
    Last edited by Prkr314; 07-22-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Had my office staff up to our lakehouse Sunday.Needed to buy more groceries for the party so made the short drive to Krogers in Catawba.As leaving,saw a spanking new white Ranger in parking lot.As got closer noticed it was Juls rig.Had a nice decal advertising her business on her Suv.There was one person in the SUV as I approached and noticed it was not Juls.The one passenger was Eric and asked him where Juls was? He said she was in store buying food for her dogs.I had talked to Juls once on phone but never met her in person.So talked to Eric for a while.He pretty much told me what was in her report.Said they had a good time fishing and raved on how great their charter captain was.He asked me if knew a good Italian restaurant.I was stumped,we used to go to Phils for Italian food,but they closed.I remembered there is a Italian place on route 53 but couldn't remember name.I suggested Jolly Rogers just a mile down road for good fried walleye and perch.I walked around the Ranger and checked out how it was set up and the two women came back.Introduced myself as fellow Walleye.Com fisherman and told her I enjoyed reading all of her great reports on this site.
    It was nice to meet you and put a face to the name...
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Prkr314 View Post
    Juls, We got a late start on Sunday and actually seen you loading up as we were in the staging lane. We ran up to the NE side of Kelly's Shoal and the screen was loaded with marks in the 18 to 25ft range in 44fow. We usually set rods with the main motor still in gear to get the jets down faster then adjust our speed when everything is down, but yesterday we got 3 keepers running 4 rods before we even had time to drop the kicker. They must have wanted it fast Sunday, I was running 3.1 on the main motor. As I changed over to the kicker my speed dropped for a few and we pulled a couple big white bass, then turned back NE after checking out that abandoned little orange sailboat, bumped my speed back around 2.9 and pulled the rest of our 12 with very little junk fish. jet 40s 55 back with helmut and purple boxer spoons catching almost all 12 in about 2 1/2 hrs. I think the best bite was around 39N/36.5W
    Wow...that's fast! Thanks for the info.. The 39/36.4 is where I started that day. I'll try bumping up the speed.
    [email protected]