Bank fishing for Walleye Bank fishing for Walleye Bank fishing for Walleye Bank fishing for Walleye
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bank fishing for Walleye

When and where would be a good time for fishing from the bank for walleye?
    Doubt I will be able to afford the gas to drive up with the boat this spring.
    Would really like to try my hand at it so any info would be appreciated.

headboathero Guest

Default Bank fishing for Walleye = Polish cavalry victories of WW2

Sorry Bub, Aside from the odd "fish story" about the kid who busted a 36 incher on the docks at Port Clinton in July, about the only place to "bank" fish (i.e. no-boat) for Walleye around here is during the spawn in the Maumee River and it's tributaries, near Toledo Ohio.

Everybody's got an opinion as to when the best times to do this are, BUT (here comes mine), starting around The first week of to the middle of March running through Mid to late April is Usually when I have done the best (i.e. limited out before the contents of my waders froze solid). You want to keep an eye on the local weather and have at least 5 days of "warmer" (45 degree plus) weather, and some good rain, then - haul it up to the banks and join the party!

The scene is really pretty unique in fishing with "bait and tackle trucks" open for business along the roadsides and parking at a premium although it seems to have been dwindling just a bit these past few years. Anglers line up shoulder to shoulder in some of the prime spots and when its "hot" its HOT!! I have "limited out" in less than 20 minutes when I've been fortunate enough (or lucky enough) to be there at the right time. Other times - skunked (but not as many of these vs. the good days).

There are plenty of sites on the net to tell you where to start looking for a good spot and waders, long-underwear, extra socks and pleny of jigs and line are a MUST! Also, fish with a buddy - if you get swept into the river (the current can be STRONG) you want a witness to tell the wife what happened, right?

"The Maumee Run" is an event unto itself and even some of my buddies who have expensive boats and run the lake from East to West all year, have become regular "bank fisherman" for this fun and inexpensive day of Walleye fishing - Try it!

*note* the daily limit is different for the "Run" than for any other time of the year and is published in the yearly fishing regs, available where you get your license.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down You are a weirdo

we dont care. get a life-----whacko

Post Thanks / Like

thanks headboat for the info.
    jig thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Im pretty sure jiginitis was refering that spammers post that got deleted off there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

clearlycustom Guest

Default maumee river

hit the river yesterday, outside of maumee finally got a walleye pulled out of that river. water levels are normal and wading to bluegrass island is safe. We were fishing with a carolina rig, with a 12inch leader and 3/8 oz. trolling sinker, color white and pink were hot only saw four fish caught all day two by myself. it was a hard day out from dawn till 2pm. Gary up at maumee bait and tackle said he saw some fish come into the shop. water temp was around 42 degrees with this warm weather i think the bit will be on in a few weeks get your things together and head our way towards the end of the month