Advice for a newbie? Advice for a newbie? Advice for a newbie? Advice for a newbie?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    stage01 Guest

Default Advice for a newbie?

Hello, I've been looking at this forum for awhile. I think everybody knows this is a hot spot for walleye. I'm from IL and have never fished Erie before.

Where can I safely fish with my small boat (16-17' with 40hp)???? And what would be the best time of year using a small boat?

Thanks! Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Default were to fish

starting in march the maumee river, of catawba for jigging for walleyes, then
    maumme bay or off davis beese area, summer time you should be able to fish
    most of the lake to west sister area in a moderate chop, with no problems, we started out with a 15 hp. and a sixteen foot miro craft, and we went all
    over the lake, and caught as maney walleyes and perch as we do now with the bigger boat.

stage01 Guest

Thanks Wayne, I won't forget to thank you (or anybody else) when I catch my first Erie Walleye.

What is the closest boat launch for:

1. Maumee River fishing

2. Maumee Bay fishing

3. Catawba fishing

4.Davis Beese fishing

5. west sister area fishing

Tks!

Quote Originally Posted by wayne johnson View Post
    starting in march the maumee river, of catawba for jigging for walleyes, then
    maumme bay or off davis beese area, summer time you should be able to fish
    most of the lake to west sister area in a moderate chop, with no problems, we started out with a 15 hp. and a sixteen foot miro craft, and we went all
    over the lake, and caught as maney walleyes and perch as we do now with the bigger boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Default launch ramps

Catawba State Park is closest to Catawba for launch. You can also launch at Mazurik and fish Catawba without burning too much fuel. But the state park is the closest for sure.

Davis Besse - there are ramps all along Rte. 2. We go out of Fenwick, but there are plenty others.

Not familiar with Maumee area.

Good luck and see you out there!

tracker95 Guest

Default small boat

i have a 17 ft with a 50 horse when the wind is under 10 mph i can fish almost any where over that stay close to shore. keep an eye on weather reports.

190Fishmaster Guest

west sister area, wild wings
    maumee bay, cullen park toledo (point place)
    maumee river, check with the bait shop (maumee tackle on w. wayne st.)

Post Thanks / Like

Default maumee river launch

maple street in perrysburg has a good launch and parking, launch in rossford
    good launch, cullens park in point place for maumee bay or maumee river,
    metgers marsh ramp for west sister or reefs, anchor point has three ramps
    for the lake, can go all over the place from here.

WalleyeHunter18 Guest

Default Stingers?

This year will be my first year jigging for early spring walleye in the western basin and I'm excited!! I can't wait for spring. I plan on using a heavy jig with purple skirt dressed with some sort of powerbait minnow. I've heard that "stingers" are good for the short bite and they seem like a good idea to me. My question is... are there any restrictions on using a treble hook stinger in the bay areas such as Maumee?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Stinger Restrictions

Yes and No??????? No restriction in the lake and bay, but not to use in the river. There's really no reason to be concerned. Most of the fish in the bay are north, east, or west of the weather beacon off the channel. You'll be able to tell which marker is the weather beacon. It looks like a missle sticking out of the water on the east side of the channel. Use locals tip with shiners.

Good Luck and Good Fishing

duckdog Guest

stag i fish a 16 ft starcraft with a 60 hp as much as i can if you know your boat and respect the lake you can fish all year i fish from intakes to east of kellys just use your head and watch the wind . from jig bite to trolling its allways a funn . good luck and be safe