6/23 Inexperienced Walleye Report 6/23 Inexperienced Walleye Report 6/23 Inexperienced Walleye Report 6/23 Inexperienced Walleye Report
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I also fish on various boats and the common theme is they do not know how to use their electronics properly.One does not know how to access numbers like lat and long to find the numbers others are fishing.The other guy has no trails or icons we can use.The other guy wants to have sonar on fish ID and all we see are pictures of fish.Cant distinguish between bait or fish.I use my 20yr old basic hand held gps and do what we need to do.

Well, yesterday we got schooled. We went out, marked very few fish, moved 3 times, and got SKUNKED! Very disappointing.

I was running harnesses with inlines on the Port side, and spoons with Tripz 30s on the Starboard. I think we might have had 1, but we lost it right away.

I'm not a master at reading my sonar, but I wasn't seeing fish like I normally do. We moved around, and looked where other boats were fishing, but we still only marked on or two here or there.

Frustrating.

FYI: we were fishing NE of West Sister Island. We burned some fuel getting there and back, but no rewards.

Next time I guess...
    2003 Wellcraft Coastal 270

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sloch24 View Post
    Since my boat idles at around 4.5 MPH I'm having to run 2 big bags to get my boat down to about 2 MPH. The GPS said 1.5 - 1.8 most of the day, but that doesn't take current into consideration.

Running harnesses, which don't dive on their own, if I remember correctly, I was running 1 ft of line for 2 ft of depth with a 2 oz inline sinker. That didn't seem right to me at the time, and now I'm thinking maybe I wasn't letting enough line out! Back to the books...

I'm out of practice, and I need to get back out and play. I also have some "how to" stuff I need to go through again.

I got some of the "Walleye 101" info from Lance Valentine a few years back, and after running with his information, I limited out on my first trip. Probably luck, but it's been a while since I've been out and/or did any studying.
    I think at 1.5-1.8 sog u r running way too slow! I was running 2.2 - 2.6 a month ago. I have been doing drift n cast at work, but if I was doing a trolling trip I would start at 2.6 and go faster til I did not catch any sheep. 3.6 is not too fast!

Quote Originally Posted by captainshotgun View Post
    I think at 1.5-1.8 sog u r running way too slow! I was running 2.2 - 2.6 a month ago. I have been doing drift n cast at work, but if I was doing a trolling trip I would start at 2.6 and go faster til I did not catch any sheep. 3.6 is not too fast!

We ran around 2.2 for about an hour, and still nothing. It must have just been one of those days for us.. The fish gods weren't on our side!

Not marking any fish is what had me most concerned. We just couldn't find them! I've been able to catch them in the past when I see them, but I just didn't see any!

Thanks though. I'll keep that in mind next time we go out.. Speed up!

for walleye on erie I run 1.8 to 2.0 with harnesses. with small spoons from galeforcetackle.com I run 2.8 to 3.0 and have been running these speeds for yrs with great luck. in rough water I try to run as close as possible which might be 1.5 to 2.6 o the spoons and 2.5 to 3.5 on the spoons. last yr and this yr the spoon bite has been awesome. last yr in july I was using lite bite slide divers like dipsies and was catching a 5 man limit with 6 rods in less than 4 hrs running spoons. if I was fishing the west sister area I would try between west sister and the turn around. its to the ne of west sister.

if using clip on or inline weights they are very speed sensitive. the slower you go the deeper you get, the faster you go the more they rise. if I was flat lining or with boards I would be using rednekoutfitters.com inline weights with the dive chart for reference only its not 100% right. for the western basin i'd start with 2 oz. for deeper water to the east i'd use the 3 oz. once you find the fish and they are everywhere just try a different area. use about a 6' 20# fluro leader behind the inline weights, hope something i've said helps you get fish. these are mph speeds on my gps.

you can try faster speeds with spoons if your marking fish and not getting them at 3.0. try going 3.5 and see if it helps.
    Last edited by sherman51; 07-05-2019 at 11:55 AM. Reason: addind info

90% of the trollers who use divers are using tru trips. The trip z is a cheap knockoff that has a completely different dive curve and requires you to let out much more line. If you are trying to duplicate the programs you see posted on here a lot you need to run tru trips. If you aren’t hitting the strike zone you won’t catch many fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    90% of the trollers who use divers are using tru trips. The trip z is a cheap knockoff that has a completely different dive curve and requires you to let out much more line. If you are trying to duplicate the programs you see posted on here a lot you need to run tru trips. If you aren’t hitting the strike zone you won’t catch many fish.
    Not sure if the Walker Tripz is the diver that you're referring to as a cheap knockoff, but that's the diver I'm running.

I'll have to compare the dive curves and see how different they are.

Thanks for the info.

[QUOTE=sloch24;66364]Not sure if the Walker Tripz is the diver that you're referring to as a cheap knockoff, but that's the diver I'm running.

I'll have to compare the dive curves and see how different they are.

Here is the dive curve for the tripz. No where near what the trutrip does. And tripz’s are made in China.

TripZ Divers

The TripZ Diver is the new era of controlled depth fishing. Walker created a buoyant floating diver that will release on strike. The TripZ Diver features an adjustable release with a set screw to adjust the tension on the release. This will allow the TripZ Diver to rise towards the surface for easy retrieve. The TripZ Diver also features a fish attracting rattle inside and the best fish catching colors.

FEATURES:
    Releases on Strike
    Revolutionary Buoyant Diving Planer System
    Adjustable Release Tension
    3 Depth Settings
    Fish Attracting Rattle
    Easy to Retrieve
    Available Sizes:
    Size 20: Dives 20 Feet
    Size 30: Dives 30 Feet
    Size 40: Dives 40 Feet
    Depth Chart:

Size 20 – 10lbs Mono

Line Out (ft)
    Depth (ft)
    Size 30 - 30lbs Mono

Line Out (ft). Depth
    35. 10
    80. 15
    125. 20
    200. 30
    Depth (ft)

Size 40 - 30lbs. Mono

Line Out (ft)
    Depth (ft)

Thanks for the info!

I'm out of town for work the last two weeks. I'll have to sit down and look over the info you've provided.

I bought the tripz on the advice of Lance Valentine. If you don't know, you don't know I guess.

I find they pull super hard, and maybe I don't have them adjusted correctly, but I can't get one of them to release when retrieving.

I'm pretty comfortable with pulling 2oz inlines. Maybe I'll just stick with those for now, but I want to pick up some TTs to play with. I just need to decide on a size.

I'm running the older style Offshore boards with the eyelet toward the top. I've been told by another guy that the new boards don't work as well. I have no experience with them, just what I was told.

Hopefully I'll get out this weekend and try again. It looks like the perch fishing might be a little slow again this year, so I need to up my walleye game I guess.

Thanks gain for the info to everyone!

Sloch24 ,think you have the same boat my father had.A 28' Wellcraft coastal we got in 80s.The stringers rotted out and we got rid of boat.If interested in having me join you to help out getting your trolling gear operate properly,call or text me.440-227-6357.