Another Good Day Another Good Day Another Good Day Another Good Day

Default Another Good Day

6/19/2019

Hey there Gang!

Latched on the rig and made the trip up in my usual sleep in fashion. Not used to spending mid-week days on the water. I think I could do it full time for sure !

Launched at Mazuriks at around 11:00 decided to head North East. Ended up about 4-5 miles N/E of Cedar Point.

There was quite a few others within a mile or so spread out, so I joined in and stayed out on the fringe.

Rigged up a tru-trip teamed with a Mepps Cyclops 4.5 inch silver spoon, was working on my other pole and the Off-Shore Tattle Flag was already going bonkers. A nice fish right off the bat.
    Let it out again and bam, the planner board was sunk! I just shut off the kicker because I had things all over the place trying to get the second pole rigged.

It turned out to be a huge channel cat, I would guess 15 pounds any how. I finally got the sucker netted ( Sort of) , (I have been using a smaller net lately, it makes it easier to net when trolling by myself). I couldn’t get it in the net, but I did manage to hook the treble on to the net and I lifted the whole cluster into the boat. lol

Boy the catfish slimed up my carpet and made a good stink of the place till I cleaned it up. It was a Dandy!

I finally got that fiasco handled and got both poles in the water. The other pole I rigged with a #2 Tadpole sent in back 40 ft. with a 4 inch Stinger spoon. This rig did not perform at all. I ended up putting on one of my (Wakina) style harnesses with a crawler and it did well.

Long story short, I caught plenty of keeper fish, but spent the day sorting out the smaller ones and brought home another ticket.

I made a big L shaped course from my start and then headed towards N/E corner of Kellys. All 40 plus ft. of water. Lots of marks.. I’m going to try for perch out there on Friday.

It was a very nice relaxing day. I am ready to change things up and do some casting and some perch fishing.
    Regards,
    Kent
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 06-20-2019 at 09:55 AM. Reason: spelling error
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Nice report Kent.Too bad that huge fish wasn't a 30" walleye.You sure would have been stressing if trying to get a big eye in that small net.

Yes, the reason I got the net was because I lost a pig over at Huron last Summer. The water resistance on the net was hard to over come while the boat was moving.. One arm holding rod and one on the net.. We have all heard the term " The Shot Heard Around the World" Just put another word in place of "Shot" Yep that was me!
    That cat was much bigger than any 30 inch eye Ive ever caught, but you make a good point!

I know exactly what you mean about the water resistance on the net using one hand. I fished solo on Lk Michigan a couple times last week and miraculously got a king and a lake trout in the net. I figured out that stabbing the net into the water at the last second was about the only way to keep the hooks out of it, even though I've always been taught not to stab at them. Lol
    If you think I'm wrong, you may be right!

Good job, by the way.
    If you think I'm wrong, you may be right!

I may have to give that a try Jawbreaker.. Maybe practice on some farm animals.. lol

I had a partner yesterday, we took two tickets.. A lot easier when you have 2 arms for the rod and two for the net. Thank goodness I can set a course with the ix5.. So steering not a big issue. Just figuring that out.. lol