Advice on Canadian walleye Advice on Canadian walleye Advice on Canadian walleye Advice on Canadian walleye
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advice on Canadian walleye

Fishing a small lake 5 hrs north of Ottawa early july. Got skunked last year. Situation: No topo info on lake at all.. I have a quickdraw garmin this year to try and map a little.9.9 motor on 16' aluminum boat-no trolling motor. Lake is 90'deep in spots.not alot of structure.i have 4 pole holders. Lots of walleye caught in spring by early guests by dragging worm harness with no beads or blades. I tried same technique but no good. Water flat most days and sunny and clear stained. HELP me and my kids catch fish!

have always had good luck back trolling floating jigs with minnows around drop offs/rock piles. look for vegetation walleyes will hang in there and respond well to jigs too.

If there is and water running into the lake try jigging 1/8 oz jigs with crawlers or minnows 2 hours before sundown. Same for any sand bars.

The problem is the lake hant been mapped so no clue where any drop offs or mid lake humps are- i tried using the old depth finder to find steep drop offs, then fished with jigs tipped with worms and leeches but no luck.. I have this trip to get it done or my wife and kids are going to boycott any future trips..grrrr

Im up there with the wife and three young kids 13-10-6.. All love fishing..but not catching fish while on a fishing trip with NOTHING else to do is beyond TOUGH.. Not knowing any contours, i fished along grassy drop offs early and late and didnt catch much of anything.. There are rocky points extending into the lake at different areas and i tried to throw some jigs into those areas, drag worms along edges while back trolling.. Again..not alot of luck..the i ly time we caught fish last trip was when a storm was about to hit..walleye started biting for 30 min.. I had to race to shore bf i was swallowed up by the monsoon that was about to hit.. After the storm the next day they went dead again...

Also back troll small rapalas along weed beds. Any running water? Feeder creeks, etc.

Did not see any creeks but ill google earth the lake and look.. I wonder about a three way swivel with a sinker or bottom bouncer and run a lure??

With kids that age you need to have easy fish for them to catch,have fun and develop the desire to fish in the future.If you are relying on catching walleye in a deep inland like with no maps or structure,not even fun for dad.May need to relocate to a lake that has plentifull bluegills or perch in it and maybe some bass or northerns for dad to try his hand at.Good luck.

I hear ya about the easier options-but... We love it up in the sticks all by ourselves.. We catch some northerns and go for atv rides during the day and the kids go swimming in the lake with the water worms (leeches)... Just trying to find some people who can help get into the walleye so we can do shore lunches and stuff.... We are limited to early july bc of the black flies so going earlier when walley are biting better isnt an option

they are biting and eating all year. they will be where the food is. you need to try to mimic what they are eating that time of year
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters