Bad Info Bad Info Bad Info Bad Info
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bad Info

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad Info

I couldn't believe the way this was reported by the media. A sheriff telling everyone how stupid we are, reports that the ice melted and the fisherman were floating away. Give me a break. I crossed the crack on Thurs and fished. I sat right beside a crack and fished all day Friday NE of Millers. The ice was at least 18" thick. There are always cracks in Lake Erie ice. When water freezes it expands. The media has been reporting for weeks that the lake is pretty much ice covered. This doesn't give the ice anywhere to go when it expands so it pushes up and a crack opens. If you use common sense and slow down this isn't a dangerous situation. I've never heard of a crack opening up and swallowing fisherman. It doesn't happen that fast. Most problems occur when we are on thin ice that we shouldn't be on or we try to cross a crack that we shouldn't. Just because you have thick ice in one spot doesn't mean it is that thick everywhere. Current plays a big role in thin spots. If you aren't an experienced Lake Erie ice fisherman get a guide or stay with the packs of people. Ask questions at the bait stores and remember strong winds, especially winds from the south can cause problems.

Has anyone heard anything else about the Coast Guard ice cutter that was seen in the area ? This makes perfect sense to me. You have a strong wind from the south, a crack running east to west and open water to the north from an ice cutter. If that open water isn't there I doubt this would have happened. Regardless things do happen. As a 20 year firefighter I have never complained about doing my job or put the people down that I have helped. Way to go Sheriff.

Does anyone know of an airboat that is cheap ? I'm not ready to give up on the fishing, but I really can't afford the charters. If anyone has an airboat and would like to make some extra cash let me know. I have all of my own equipment just need a ride out and back.

renofisherman Guest

Default my take on it

I cant believe how these guys that were caught out there want to blame everyone but themselves, that ice was perfect on fri. We fished off sand beach and it was probably the most beautiful day i have ever seen on the ice. Everyone i was with knew that the ice was gonna blow out. You dont need a cutter for it to happen, conditions were ripe for it to happen, rising temps and an offshore wind that had been forecast for a week, made us get out there fri. because we knew it could be it. If you have ever stood at the lakeshore when the wind was blowing NE and watched the ice pile up you would know, when mother nature decides it time to move, it,s gone, common sense goes a long way, and myself and friends were just as mad that it moved as anyone, hell the fishing was getting HOT! people need to watch the weather, and if its not right, dont go out. As far as sherriff bratton goes, this isnt the first time he bitched about guys getting stuck, and i dont blame him, no-one who had any sense was out there, and the people that responded i,m sure were not happy to be (putting their training to the test) as some have said. use your head guys, theres not a fish in that lake worth losing your or someone elses life over. sorry if i offend but thats my take. Be safe and good fishing

TeamDB Guest

Default Airboat ride

Call Capt. John @ 440-479-5185
    We take people out all the time.

lucky dog Guest

Default my opinion

we had been down there almost every day for two weeks before the opened up I hear stories of people who went around the and others who were stuck i guess i don't get it if there is another way off the ice or around it that's a detour not stuck we've been ice fishing erie for years and we did'nt go that day because of the off shore wind watch your weather guys

I don't understand them talking about fines for those that get stuck in the summer if you break down they don't fine you for needing assistance

As for the sheriff what else does he need a hover craft for isn't that they're job helping people in need it can't all be writing useless seatbelt tickets and donuts sheriff