16 Mile Trail of Tears 16 Mile Trail of Tears 16 Mile Trail of Tears 16 Mile Trail of Tears

Wink 16 Mile Trail of Tears

An adventure story. Fact not fiction.

It started in the parking lot. I overheard some fells wondering whether or not to pull their trailer. I recommended they not, due to my knowledge of the plywood bridge at the crack. I advised them I put the fish to bed the evening before (I am a local) and I would take them to my spot.

The first crack was 18" and we crossed it with ease. Headed NW and crossed the second crack which ran S to N. It was 8". Got to our spot and started catching eyes within minutes. At 9:30 we noticed the shanty town to the east was tearing down and heading SW. But, that is not where we came from! Something is wrong? We packed up and investigated. The crack had opened to 5'. Some fellas held a large piece of ice in the crack to create a bridge, but it was still suspect. As if from God two slivers floated down that fit like a glove. We fired up and flew across.

Headed towards the first crack and WHOA! That will take the Army Corp of engineers to cross. And then! There they were? Coastie Choppers, Sherriff Choppers, ProMedica Choppers, Coastie Airboats (3 of them). The operation began. Taking children first, elderly, walkers, under attired, etc. etc.. As the operation progressed a group of snowmobilers and ATV's headed east then northeast till out of sight.

The fellas I picked up in the parking lot were experienced ice fisherman, but not experienced about the lake. I advised them I had 3/4 tank of gas and an extra gallon. One of their ATV's was out of gas so I offered some of my extra gallon to him. We discussed our options and I gave one of the ATV passengers my truck keys and advised that we not take passengers on this journey. They take the coastie ride and we will call as to where to pick us up.

We headed east then northeast. About 2 miles we came across erie township boat patrolling in the crack and a Coasties airboat. Asked them if they knew if the crack closed up anywhere and they said " not as far as we have been, as they pointed northeast). We continued on. We paralleled the crack for another 5 miles. On the way we passing abandoned ATV's, empty gas tanks, abandoned shanties, buckets with poles and tackle, scoops, dip nets, full 12 packs of beer, destroyed homemade sleds that ice terrain destroyed, and then an Sherriff chopper hovered over us and gave us hand gestures that the crack was 4' wide, cut his throat, and pointed back towards Magee Marsh. We continued on. The Sherriff Chopper moved north and hovered over a man made bridge our predisesors had left. We measured, reconfigured, placed a person on each side and crossed one at a time.

Now, off to Camp Perry. I reflected at this point on the instructions I received from the father of a young man following me. "Don't let my son Die". Safety was my first and last thoughts. As we headed EESE trying to cross previous travel routes on my GPS from this year we were pushing through 4" of water and in some places it was difficult to determine what was water on top and maybe open water. I put my trust in my knowledge that there's 18" of ice and in god.

As we neared Camp Perry two Coastie Choppers flew over going like h---! And then the ProMedica Chopper followed towards the Touissant River watershed/ Discharge. I prayed it was'nt the fella whom did not wait for us at the Niagra Reef crossing because he headed due south favoring the east side of Davis Besse. I did not follow him.

We finally crossed an old route track on my GPS and headed towrds Camp Perry where another obstacle lay in our way. A subduction where the northern sheet had overlapped the southern sheet and filled with water. Luckily other ice fisherman from the Camp Perry launch built another bridge. AS we all wait for 2 more of their buddies the parking lot fills with amber and yellow lighted safety vehicles.

We finally arrive on Terra Firma. Home at Last-Home at Last. We look at our odometers and they say I covered 16 miles since we left Magee Marsh. The young man travelling along also confirmed his odometer increased 16 Miles.

What an Adventure.

By the way. My wife Grounded Me, but "I'll Be Back!"

glad to hear you guys are fine but did hear one guy didn't make it so prayers are with him and his family. i live in ft.wayne and usually fish for gills and crappie but love coming to erie for the eyes in the spring and will have to try it next year through the ice because thats my real passion. good luck and tight lines to all

cowboyroy Guest

jiginitis69

cowboyroy Guest

Default what a trip

jiginitis69
    just wanted to thank you for all the help & and gas on saturday. it was something we wil not forget right a way. if you ever get around archbold look us up. will try to return the good deeds. thanks again. cowboyroy

Smile The trip

cowboyroy, No problem. Its all part of the game. We are all in it together. Bet the young man will not forget soon either. Thats not a trip many would take.

Did ya see woody and randy made the toledo blade? Photos and all