First Time Out...Shakedown Run: Fishing with Mark and Cassie 3/19/19 First Time Out...Shakedown Run: Fishing with Mark and Cassie 3/19/19 First Time Out...Shakedown Run: Fishing with Mark and Cassie 3/19/19 First Time Out...Shakedown Run: Fishing with Mark and Cassie 3/19/19

Default First Time Out...Shakedown Run: Fishing with Mark and Cassie 3/19/19

I didn't have a guide trip today....well, I kind of did...let me explain.
    I didn't have a scheduled trip, but I wanted to take advantage of the nice weather and get the new Ranger out for a shakedown run, and try to see if I still knew how to catch some walleye for my trips coming up this weekend.
    I asked a young couple to go with me, so I could run more lines. Mark works in the produce dept of the local Kroger store, and his girlfriend Cassie works at "Waldo Peppers", a local restaurant with some pretty good food. Mark had run into me at the last place I did a seminar and mentioned that he had never trolled before...he was a "caster". I had remembered when I talked to him at the store, that he mentioned that he had Tuesdays off, so I sent a text to see if he wanted to go...and, he did.
    It was a fun morning west of Catawba. The wind was light out of the west to start, and died down as the day went on. It was switching though...at around 2pm it was coming out of the east for a short time...then, it died again, and switched to the SW.
    It was chilly early on, but when the wind died and the sun was out...it got warm. Then, if the sun disappeared, it felt about 5-10 degrees colder. I didn't know whether to put my warm hat on or take it off...it was a decision made several times today. lol

We ran P-10's with 1 oz snapweights 25/25 and 30/30 at 1.0 to 1.2 mph to start... we caught 5 fish on those. In the afternoon, we switched to Bandits at 1.2-1.4mph with no weight at 75, 85, and 90 back. We caught 9 more with the Bandits, in much less time than it took to get the first 5 with the P-10's. We fished 25' of water with the p-10s and 22' of water with the Bandits....wink wink.
    The Helix wasn't marking a lot of fish at the Cans either. We would see a pod of fish, get a little excited and then... nothing. Then, see another small pod, cross our fingers, and then...nothing. Deep sigh.
    I didn't make any runs to other areas, since I was just making sure everything was working as it should, and teaching my crew how to run the Off Shore inline Planers. It was more about revitalizing my soul today than putting fish in the boat. And, today was a good day for that. Of course, it's always better in flip flops...but, we're not there yet.
    Thursday, I'll be fishing with my regulars, Steve and Jeremy Chapman. They're always game for an adventure, so I'll be exploring a different area than today.
    Stay tuned...
    Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images First Time Out...Shakedown Run: Fishing with Mark and Cassie 3/19/19-mark-belcher-cassie-3_19_19vccpgiy9rhm5tvfcljpzyg-jpg First Time Out...Shakedown Run: Fishing with Mark and Cassie 3/19/19-mark-belcher-cassie-3_19_19-jpg First Time Out...Shakedown Run: Fishing with Mark and Cassie 3/19/19-mark-belcher-cassie-3_19_19_2-jpg First Time Out...Shakedown Run: Fishing with Mark and Cassie 3/19/19-mark-belcher-cassie-3_19_19img_3803-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Pretty good for a shakedown cruise!
    If you think I'm wrong, you may be right!

Nice! Thanks for the report!

great report, was hoping to get out this weekend but looks like the weather has other plans.

Nice first trip Juls. Going with Pooh Bear tomorrow on his "shake down cruise".Will post how we did.For some reason I am unable to figure out how to post pictures with my droid phone,or I would post pictures too.

Default hello

Hi, Juls,

Sounds like you had a great shakedown run. I plan to be doing the same in the next week. I can't wait! Be safe and see you on the water
    BTW, I have been thinking it sure makes sense to have a fishfinder at the back of the boat. Have you always done that on your Rangers?

Mooner
    Polar Kraft Frontier 179 WT
    Yamaha 90 4 stroke
    Suzuki 9.9 EFI
    Minn Kota Terrova iPilot 80# w/ US2
    Lowrance Elite Ti2 9 inch
    Lowrance Elite 5x

Quote Originally Posted by Mooner View Post
    Hi, Juls,

Sounds like you had a great shakedown run. I plan to be doing the same in the next week. I can't wait! Be safe and see you on the water
    BTW, I have been thinking it sure makes sense to have a fishfinder at the back of the boat. Have you always done that on your Rangers?

Mooner
    No, I haven't. It's nice, but I still find myself turning around to look at the unit on the dash (out of habit, I guess)... and to see where other boats are so that I can change course if I don't have the right of way.

More than a few times, I have had close calls with boats that have units in the back and they don't turn around to look where they are going and just keep their backs turned.
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    No, I haven't. It's nice, but I still find myself turning around to look at the unit on the dash (out of habit, I guess)... and to see where other boats are so that I can change course if I don't have the right of way.

More than a few times, I have had close calls with boats that have units in the back and they don't turn around to look where they are going and just keep their backs turned.
    Ohh, I guess that was one advantage my tiller had. Everything was located in the "business end" of the boat.
    Is this your favorite Ranger you've had?
    Polar Kraft Frontier 179 WT
    Yamaha 90 4 stroke
    Suzuki 9.9 EFI
    Minn Kota Terrova iPilot 80# w/ US2
    Lowrance Elite Ti2 9 inch
    Lowrance Elite 5x

Quote Originally Posted by Mooner View Post
    Ohh, I guess that was one advantage my tiller had. Everything was located in the "business end" of the boat.
    Is this your favorite Ranger you've had?
    I really-really liked the colors on my 2017 Ranger...but, this one is beautiful too.
    [email protected]