Stern planers vs Offshore tadpoles Stern planers vs Offshore tadpoles Stern planers vs Offshore tadpoles Stern planers vs Offshore tadpoles

Default Stern planers vs Offshore tadpoles

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between using the stern planer compared to the tadpole? I would like to add a couple more rods and was thinking about running my 3 offshore side planers off each side and possible a rod off each corner using a tadpole to get the baits down deeper. I still consider myself in the learning mode using side planers although I fished years ago using the big boards.

I read the report that Captain Porkchop posted and that is the first that I have heard of the side planers.
    Thanks

Stern planers are just a floating device to add rods to your set up. They were originally made for river anglers out in washington for trolling way behind the boat and to stay in line. As salmon spooked out from under boat they would come back to sweet spot as lure came along way behind the boat. Tad pole are a diving inline wieght. Much like stingrays or bottom bouncers with a steeper dive cure and wieght transfer to reduce pull when a fish strikes.

If adding lines out the rear corners I would lean towards the dipsy #1's they are adjustable to left and right out the sides the two you mentioned will only run straight out the back and may cause tangles in landing a fish caught off your boards.

Gene

on my inline boards I run the or39 releasing clips. they do take little getting used to, setting them u and the tension on the clip.

what I love about them is once released the board falls back behind boat, so you can bring it in with shuffling any other side board or mess with any dipseys or jets on the corners, never used stern planners but they would have to be moved around a little on the way in.
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

See attached photo and explanation, this is one way i use my rodsStern planers vs Offshore tadpoles-trolling-jpg
    Capt Sam "Porkchop" Downing
    [email protected]
    www.porkchopexpresscharters.com
    www.facebook.com/captwalleye/
    2017 North river seahawk 25. 27' long w/yamaha 300 and 9.9 kicker. Full garmin electronics package including 12" gps and chirp sonar, radar with satellite weather and radio, autopilot for main engine and TR1 autopilot for kicker has a private porta potty and seating for 8 under the roof.
    OFFERING 2 TO 6 PERSON CHARTERS FOR WALLEYE AND PERCH

Great illustration there Captain pork chop.Amazing that you could run up to 16 lines like you do.We use the tadpoles frequently with our worm harnesses and our inline boards.The setup works great.Did not use the harnesses nearly as often as past seasons due to all those 2015 wanted stinger spoons last year.Will see what works best this year.Will try both and see what the fish want.

Capt, that is a very nice diagram and verbiage to help us novice trollers. Thank you!
    Bruce