Fishing with Steve and Jeremy 11/19/18 Fishing with Steve and Jeremy 11/19/18 Fishing with Steve and Jeremy 11/19/18 Fishing with Steve and Jeremy 11/19/18

Default Fishing with Steve and Jeremy 11/19/18

Got the call yesterday from Jeremy..."Looks like the weather is going to be nice tomorrow. Do you want a trip?" "It does! I said. "Let's do it...it will be the first trip out on the new Ranger." I replied grinning ear to ear.

Steve and Jeremy Chapman are regulars of mine who fish with me about 8-10 times a season. And, it just so happens, Steve was my very first customer when I started this guide business almost 8 years ago. So, it was fitting that they were out with me on my inaugural run in the 2019 boat.

I met them at Mazurik's at 9am, and we launched. I let the ETEC sit and purr while she came up to temperature. It was a slightly foggy morning with zero wind, and the temperature was only 35 degrees. The forecast called for winds less than 5mph out of the WSW all day, and temps to hit a high of 40, so I was really glad to get a chance to be back out on the lake.

I had no clue which direction I was going to go to find fish. I know about some areas to the east, and some to the north, but I had read mixed reports online about catches. I knew Capt Kevin was headed to Huron to launch, so he would be fishing from Huron to Vermilion....I didn't think I wanted to go that far with an untested boat at this time of year, so I turned to the east, instead of north and put the big girl on plane.

"OHHHhhhhh Holy Moly!" I thought to myself, "This Ranger is AWESOME! I've had a lot of different Rangers over the years... most of them being 621's...this one included....To me, this one is a perfect combination.
    I knew instantly that the boat and the 300 G2 were going to be best buddies.
    It just felt super-right this time. Have you ever just felt like that with a boat? I've felt it maybe three times. You just KNOW when it happens, and it happens right away. Some are good, but then, some are really really good! I have one of the "laters" for next season, and I can't wait to use it again....woot! woot!

Anyway, I decided to go east and just watch the Helix for good fish marks on the screen. I turned the chart speed up to 10, and cruised at 40-43mph, and watched for little red "blob dots" on the screen. That's what they look like at that speed.

If I saw any that were bunched up together, making it obvious that they were fish, I slowed it down to take a better look.

As I come off plane, I turn the H'Bird's chart speed down to match the boat's speed. If you don't turn it down, the arches are going to look huge, and you'll be given the false impression that there are giant walleye below you.

When you turn the speed down, you get a better sense of the size of fish below. You'll learn the difference between the size of marks, and the actual fish, through practice and time on the water.

We dropped off plane at the 27/27 line (those are the middle numbers in the GPS coordinates for those of you who don't know).

The marks were pretty decent, so I grabbed the remote for the Ulterra and crossed my fingers that it would work. It did! Flawlessly. She deployed and I set a course to the east.

We set a spread of 4 Bandits and 2 Smithwick Perfect 10's behind Off Shore inline boards. The P-10s were used with a 1oz Guppie Weight (snap-weight) at 30/30. (Again, for those that don't know what 30/30 means...this time, it's the distance back using a weight. Put 30 feet of line out, attach the weight, and let 30 more feet of line out...for a total of 60 feet.

The P-10s took a few walleye, but were mostly tasty bits for a lot of big white bass too, so we ended up taking them off and putting all Bandits on.

Okay, so here's the info you want:

Speed was 1.3-1.5mph....1.4mph was probably the best speed, but the other two worked too.

Depth of water was 40-44 with 40 foot having the most fish in it.

Colors: Anything with an orange belly. The best colors today were the Blue/Chrome Bandit and a Custom by Domka Outdoors called, "Attention Deficit". I heard from Capt Kevin during the day...he was further SE of where I was and had the Chartreuse WonderBread color working well. In fact, he said he switched all his baits to that color at some point.

I put one of those out, but it did diddly-squat for us, until the very end. We put 3 Blue/Chromes, 2 Attention Deficits, and 1 Chartreuse Wonderbread out.

We started out with the P-10's 30/30 with 1oz, like mentioned above, and the Bandits were out 85-125 back. Eventually, as the day progressed I dialed our bite in and had everything out at 85-90 back.

The fish were coming in in singles, doubles, and triples...with a triple to end the day. When started to pull the rest of the boards in, there were walleye attached to all of them!

It was a great day to be alive today, and a great day to be on Lake Erie!

They're hoping that they will be able to get a few more days in next week too, since they are registered for the Fall Brawl, along with me, and we're running out of time. I think there's only 12 more days left for the tournament? I hope the weather behaves and lets us get out a few more times.

Stay tuned....
    Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with Steve and Jeremy 11/19/18-steve-jeremy-11_19_18_6-jpg Fishing with Steve and Jeremy 11/19/18-steve-jeremy-11_19_18_8-jpg Fishing with Steve and Jeremy 11/19/18-steve-jeremy-11_19_18_3jpg-jpg Fishing with Steve and Jeremy 11/19/18-steve-jeremy-11_19_18_5-jpg Fishing with Steve and Jeremy 11/19/18-steve-jeremy-11_19_18_2-jpg 
    Last edited by Capt Juls; 11-21-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Thanks for the report. Love to read them!

I wanted to go put so bad today, called about 8 ppl and they all had to either work, or didn't want to be out in the cold and snow they though would be out there.

finally my wife said she we go and try it, then couldn't find anyone to watch the kids........when the cards are stacked against you they just are.

after a long summer of working the weekend help so many others get the freezer some fish, u have had found the time to get any in my freezer besides the 3 my father in passes me from there last trip out

looks like those 3 are going to taste super good. good thing PC fish has some I can buy.

I was very tempted to go out by myself, but if something would go wrong, alone on lake erie in 35 degree weather...not a good idea.

glad to see some fish.......been surprised at the brawl, not seeing the normal big ones
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Quote Originally Posted by branhamautomotive View Post
    I wanted to go put so bad today, called about 8 ppl and they all had to either work, or didn't want to be out in the cold and snow they though would be out there.

finally my wife said she we go and try it, then couldn't find anyone to watch the kids........when the cards are stacked against you they just are.

after a long summer of working the weekend help so many others get the freezer some fish, u have had found the time to get any in my freezer besides the 3 my father in passes me from there last trip out

looks like those 3 are going to taste super good. good thing PC fish has some I can buy.

I was very tempted to go out by myself, but if something would go wrong, alone on lake erie in 35 degree weather...not a good idea.

glad to see some fish.......been surprised at the brawl, not seeing the normal big ones
    You are wise not to go it alone this time of year. I agree completely. With so many smaller fish in the system right now, it isn't a lack of big ones out there, I just think the smaller ones are just faster to the bait.
    [email protected]

Wow Juls - incredible report! I love the boat - looks amazing. I wasn't aware that I could even adjust the speed of the my Helix. I will have to look more into that so thank you for bringing it to my attention. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEye View Post
    Wow Juls - incredible report! I love the boat - looks amazing. I wasn't aware that I could even adjust the speed of the my Helix. I will have to look more into that so thank you for bringing it to my attention. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
    When you're on the sonar screen view, hit the menu button once... the short menu will pop up. Scroll down to "chart speed" and adjust it on the fly.

Thank you! I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving too.
    [email protected]