Perch Perch Perch Perch
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Perch

10\5-6
    Spent the last two weekends casting for walleye at Big Pickerel with mixed success because the perch fishing was so slow, but this weekend that turned around.

Two of us went out Saturday evening on a rough ride to D can to see if we could locate some perch since I had a group coming up to fish Sunday. We finally located some decent marks around 5 pm and dropped the anchor (waves were too big to run the spot lock on the trolling motor). I was going to be happy if we could catch a few fish and get a place to start on Sunday. 1 hr and 40 minutes later we were pulling the anchor with 2 limits of perch in the cooler. We threw quite a few 5 and 6 inch perch back, 60 perch weighed 17 lbs at Shatto's Fish cleaning. Most were 7 to 8 inch with some 9s and 10s and one 11 inch.

Sunday morning 5 of us went to the same spot in my 30' (much nicer ride). Fished for a half hour with no bites, made a quarter mile move to some decent marks and tried again. 3 and a half hours and we had our 150 perch. Same size as Saturday but a little slower bite, everyone was happy and it made for a nice day on the water.

Fish were all caught on 3 hook crappie rigs on the bottom and very large emerald shiners from A and J bait. We cut the shiners in 3 and 4 pieces. It will be nice if bigger fish move in as the water cools, but if the bite stays good I will gladly take what the lake gives us. Hopefully this is the end of a long dry spell for catching perch.
    Last edited by 5285; 10-06-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Headed out of the Maumee and started fishing at 9:00. Stopped just past the Harbor light. Slow 1st hour with 10 in the cooler. Moved 1/2 mile east and bright in another 81. Bite best between 12 and 2. 12", a couple 11", but mostly 8 - 10". Just shy of 25lbs at Spot and Spans.

10\8-9
    Went to crib reef Tuesday afternoon by myself found some good marks west of the pack and set up with the spot lock. One and a half hours caught 30 keepers threw back (16) 5 and 6" perch, nice to see some smaller fish (guess the walleye didn't eat them all). Went out Thursday morning to the same spot with my neighbor. Caught our 60 in three hours, little bigger size, but still threw a lot of smaller fish back. Bait was large shiners fro A and J bait cut in 3 and 4 pieces. Used (3) crappie rigs and (1) spreader on the bottom.
    Perch-8-jpg
    Last edited by 5285; 10-09-2019 at 12:40 PM.

10\11
    Friday 2 of us got a late start out to Crib, located some decent marks and set up a little after 3 pm. Caught a bunch of white perch, gobys, and 4 to 8 inch yellow perch. A little after 5 pm we had (42) 7 and 8' perch in the box, and it started getting noticeably darker with the heavy cloud cover. That seemed to trigger some bigger fish. In the next 45 minutes we finished our limit with 9 to 13" perch. Got some really nice size emerald shiners from A and J bait, and used 3 hook crappie rigs on the bottom.

Perch-1011-jpg
    Last edited by 5285; 10-12-2019 at 11:43 PM.

I don't know why but crib seems to always hold monster perch.......just dont always get big numbers of them
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Maybe those big perch think they are walleye hanging out on the rocks by Crib.

10\15
    Two of us went to Crib Reef at 10 am this morning. Tried several spots with decent marks and caught (1) 13" perch in 2 hours. Came back to L can and tried for an hour with no takers. Headed up to A can and caught our limit in 2 hours. Perch were 7 to 12" with lots of 4 to 6" throw backs. also fed 60+ white perch to the pack of gulls setting around us. Almost used all the 4 generous scoops of emerald shiners we got at Bite Me Bait. Fish were caught on 3 hook crappie rigs on the bottom. All fish caught with in a 100 feet of the can.

Perch-1015-jpg
    Last edited by 5285; 10-15-2019 at 09:21 PM.

We were fishing @1/2 mile west of A can and 4 of us only caught 7 keepers but had lots of 6" perch to throw back along with several white perch. Should have moved but with strong wind was having a hard time getting anchor to hold.

Came out the Maumee this morning with great conditions. Winds out of the south with 2' chop. Went a bouy past the harbor light south side on the snail beds. Started catching with 1st drop at 9:30. Looked promising, with ended with a Lake Erie let down. 14 keepers. One being a 13"er. 1 20" walleye, exciting. Threw back at least 25 smalls.
    Last edited by Brett2037; 10-19-2019 at 08:02 PM.

Tuesday two of us went off of ramp to the green can got our 60 fish with a lot of sorting. Went 14# at the cleaners. Saturday went out of Huron off the Castle 35 fow. Three of us we only got 36 fish. They went 19# at the cleaners. They were really big fish. Going today to try again.