Perch Perch Perch Perch
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Perch

Fished out of Catawba today. Pretty slow only kept a dozen between 2 of us. Had about 6 small walleye, 1 worth measuring. Started near the green can had a real slow pick of decent fish. Made several small moves then ran to near G can. None paid off. Ended up back where we started and got a few more. Fished 8 till 1. Probably should have stayed out but you never know. Never really marked a lot of fish in any spot. May try again Saturday.

11/7-8-9
    Saturday morning 3 of us went to the north side of Niagara Reef in 30 fow. Bite was good for an hour then quit. As I was moving I took the sonar off of bottom lock and marked a bunch of walleye from 15 to 25 feet. Looked around for a while and couldn't find any perch so we headed to the south side of L can, and finished our 3 man limit. Total trip was 4 hours.
    Sunday 3 of us went back to the south side of L can, the bite was slow but steady, never moved the boat, and the 90 fish took 5 hours to catch.
    Monday took some different guys back to the same spot south of L can and started looking for perch. Didn't mark any fish until I got about a mile and a half south of A can. caught 90 perch in 4 hours without moving.
    used crappy rigs all 3 days and shiners from A and Js. Gave all the fish away so I don't know the weights. Had some 8" mostly 9 & 10" and a decent amount of 11 & 12".
    Probably pull the boat Thanksgiving weekend, but I hope to get 4 or 5 more trips in before then.
    Last edited by 5285; 11-13-2020 at 12:27 AM.

Default Re: Perch

Finally found a good school of perch. Been trying since June but all I could find was small groups, catch 1 or 2 and then they were gone. Went to the intake last week and found some good marks, caught 4 then the wind kicked up and I couldn't hold the boat so I came in. Went back Saturday afternoon, again too much wind for the spot lock so I anchored up and 2 of us enjoyed a good bite. There are flags for a net (I assume perch) inside the buoys, I pulled right up to it and dropped the anchor. Caught them all on 3 hook crappy rigs with emerald shiners. Seeing several commercial nets around the Western Basin. I guess they killed all the perch in the Central Basin so they might as well come over here and do the same.Perch-20210710_142516-jpg Perch-20210710_185616-jpg
    Last edited by 5285; 07-11-2021 at 04:27 PM.

I was wondering when they were gonna heat up. Havent seen many reports of any good catches. Toledo intake?

I tried for perch Saturday morning. Off Lakeside, Marblehead lighthouse and break wall at Cedar Point. Zero perch. Lots of farm animals.

I was out tubing saturday afternoon. I saw a few good "perch type" marks around half way between CIC and PC. Was hoping to try for them on Sunday but, weather didn't cooperate. 20 Fow.

Rickerd

Perch tournament advertised on Perchguy Different kind of format.
    Last edited by 5285; 07-30-2021 at 12:37 AM.

7/30
    4 of us went to B can, that's where I had last fished and several folks told me there was still a good bite there. Apparently they had moved on, we caught 8 perch in 2 hours with 4 moves around the area, wasn't seeing any good marks, and there didn't appear to be any fish moving in and out.
    We were in a 30' with an anchor and moving around was enough of a chore I decided to try elsewhere. Headed west and saw some boats fishing South of A can. Cruised around and found some good marks, so we set up. Immediately started pulling doubles and singles enjoying a fast bite for a half hour and then they quit biting and disappeared from the screen. I noticed at the same time the clouds moved from in front of the sun. I could see more clouds drifting in and decided to stay put, when the sun was blocked the fish were back and we had a good bite. Sun would shine bright and they would shut down. we hung out for 3 hours and got our fish, but you could predict when they were going to bite by the cloud movement. caught all our perch on 3 hook crappy rigs and emerald shiners from Bite Me Bait.

Does anyone know approximately how many miles it is from catawba out to g can?

Hey Tony from catawba ramp you should be just a touch over 2 mi to G