Perch Perch Perch Perch
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Perch

That does sound heavy unless they were all 13 to 14 inchers. Usually 30 8 to 10 inch perch weigh 8 to 9 lbs.
    Thanks Matt

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

9\16
    Great day, back to same spot South of A can 22 fow. Only had 5 perch in the first hour, then they turned on, finished up in a half hour. Had 6 triples and the last hit with 29 in the box was a double, had to release one. No sheephead or white perch. Used a 3 hook crappy rig with shiners from A and Js. Saw the question on weight so I checked the scales at Shatto's. I assumed they had the weight of the tub deducted from the scales, turns out they don't. I threw 3 tubs on the scale they weighed 3 lbs 5 ounces, so the weights I have been listing are about a pound over. Today's weighed 10 lbs, the fish were 8 to 10 inches with 2 11" a 12" and 2 gut hooked 7". So that would be closer to 9 lbs. Forecast shows the wind laying down tomorrow afternoon, hope to get back out then.
    Last edited by 5285; 09-16-2020 at 11:06 PM.

9/19-20
    After the wind laid down Saturday afternoon 4 of us went to the spot south of A can where I had been catching for the last couple weeks, water was muddy from the blow on Friday so we moved on. Tried Big pickerel, A can, B can, and D can. Made several moves at each spot, but after 4 hours we only had 19 perch. Decided to head north and scout around. Found some nice marks half way between Niagara Reef and C can in 30 fow, Caught 60 nice 8 to 11 inch perch in the hour before sunset. Using crappy rigs with shiners and goldies from A and Js.
    The couple that went out with me Saturday wanted to fish again Sunday morning. I was busy so I let them take the boat back to the same spot. They had their limit in a couple hours. nice size fish again.Perch-toddperch-jpg
    Last edited by 5285; 09-20-2020 at 11:33 PM.

9/22-23-24-25-26
    Last Tuesday afternoon went out with my neighbor north of Niagara reef 30 fow. It was just windy enough that we couldn't keep his anchor holding. Spent 3 and a half hours catching one or two then slipping. Nice fish but we only got 37. Took him in my boat Wednesday to the same spot and caught our limit in the same amount of time. Most were 10 to 12 inch with a few 13s. Thursday went to the same spot by myself for a 2 and a half hour limit. Friday my brother came up and we headed out about 9am to the same spot. caught 37 pretty quick then they stopped. Moved around and tried several spots within a half mile but couldn't get any to bite. Moved down to Water Dogs neighborhood south of G can, pulled a few then decided to head back up to Niagara. Made for an 8 hour day but we got our limit. Saturday 3 of us went back to North of Niagara reef. Fished for 6 hours to catch our fish. Had to make several short moves to get back on the bite. I considered it a pretty good week. Way better than last year at this time. As always we were using 3 hook crappy rigs with shiners and goldies from A n Js. I didn't keep any of the perch (freezers full) gave them all away, so I don't know what they weighedPerch-tp-jpg
    Last edited by 5285; 09-28-2020 at 09:30 PM.

10/3
    4 of us went out Saturday morning about 9:30. Stopped at L can for about a half hour and caught 4-8" perch. Decided to head on up to that 30 foot of water North of Niagara where I had been fishing the last couple of weeks to see if we could find some bigger fish. Idled around a quarter mile circle and found some decent marks. Took about 2 and a half hours to catch our limit. Caught the perch on crappy rigs with cut Emerald shiners from Scott and Dick's. The guy's took the fish to Shatto's to get cleaned, they said the 120 perch weighed 37lbs.

10/5
    They're getting bigger. Took my neighbor back to the north side of Niagara in 30 fow found a school, and caught 17 in an hour and a half. It was a slow bite but every time I said I was going to move we caught another fish. They were all 10 to 12 inches and I hate to leave fish to find fish but we had a 20 minute lull so it was time to move. Looked for another school for about 15 minutes and set up again. Bite was a little faster, perch were still nice size. Ended up taking 5 hours to get our 60 but they filled a 5 gallon bucket. Weather was absolutely perfect, we fished from 10 to 3, and I don't remember a more relaxing and pleasant day on the lake. We used 3 hook crappy rigs weighted with a half ounce sinker and #4 tru turn hooks. Bait was emerald shiners and small goldie mix from Butch and Denny's . Looks like Friday the wind will lay down enough to try it again.Perch-p3-jpg

10\6 to 11\1
    Doesn't feel like it's been a month since I have posted, time flies when you get busy. For the last month I have been fishing within 200 yards of a way point on the north side of Niagara reef in 30 fow that I made back in September. I have been fishing 2 to 4 days a week mostly by myself and it has been unbelievably consistent, with limits taking from 2 to 4 hours and the fish have been mostly 9 to 11 inches with quite a few 12s also. A and Js has had a good supply of nice size shiners, to use on our 3 hook crappy rigs, with all the fish cleaned at Shatto's

I have had the same success just south of G can. I have been also catching 6-8 small walleye each trip out with an occasional keeper. Curious if you are also catching the occasional walleye also?

Same here but at the toledo light house the freezer is full of perch for the long winter and the boat has been pulled out. Hope next year is a repeat.
    Thanks Matt

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

I was out in the lighthouse area Sunday early and again Monday late. Didn't do well either day. Kept a dozen Sunday with another 6 or 8 smalls thrown back. That was me and my grandson. Monday was on another guy's boat. 4 of us started about 2 fished till sunset, 6 fish. Great bait from ANJ. Think I'm going to try tomorrow early again. Probably run out of Catawaba. If the wind isn't bad maybe run out to Niagara.