Perch Perch Perch Perch
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Perch

Most perch I have caught have 7” or so their air sac is out so I keep them. So I have been taught to keep them if air sac is out. My understanding is Once it’s out they will die If released.

This is a great point, and highly controversial to some anglers. Over the years I have caught perch in 6 to 45 feet of water. and have consistently noticed distended air bladder in perch caught in water over 30 feet. I don't ever recall seeing it in fish caught under 30 feet. I have heard the stories and read the articles on perforating the air bladder and releasing the fish, my personal experience is they become seagull food within 10 minutes, so I don't do it. Fishing west of the islands I have witnessed very few cases of distended air bladder in perch, but I have seen the gulls eating a whole bunch of undersized perch when fishing around packs of boats. I only release under size perch if they are lip hooked and energetic. Gill and belly hooked perch go in the bucket regardless of size.
    Last edited by 5285; 08-03-2020 at 10:55 AM.

5285, this is because you value our resource. Awesome! I would say most of us on here do. A dying fish if at legal size goes in the box.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Fished at C can then moved to B Friday. Slow bite. Three guys caught 61. 21 pounds. Fished 8 until 2:00.

8/19-20
    Great to be back out fishing after an unplanned 2 week break. Went out by myself mid afternoon Wednesday, It took almost 4 hours to catch a limit, lots of undersized perch and walleye thrown back. Fished the north side of Big Pickerel, south of B can, with a crappy rig, and goldies from A and Js. Little over 8 lbs at Shatto's.
    Went to the same spot by myself Thursday afternoon and all I could catch were some white perch and sheepheads. Moved to D can and my luck improved. It took 3 and a half hours but I got my limit, lots of shorts and 4" walleye gently returned when the seagulls weren't looking. All fish caught on 3 hook crappy rigs with goldies from A and Js. 9 pounds at Shatto's. Weather looks great the next 3 days, and hope to have some buddies up this weekend.
    Last edited by 5285; 08-21-2020 at 01:17 AM.

8/21
    Wasted a trip over to D can this afternoon by myself, was there an hour moved 3 times caught several white perch and a sheephead. Got a text from a buddy about some action at A can so I moved over there. Idled around till I found some decent marks and dropped 2 lines. Since the wind was non existent I just let the boat drift. After about 5 minutes drifting maybe 10 feet, both rods had hits, a triple and a single. Hit the spot lock and settled in. It was on and off usualy both rods then nothing for 10 or fifteen minutes. Took 3 hours to catch a limit, did some sorting and they weighed 10 lbs at Shatto's. Used 3 hook crappy rigs with half ounce weight, and nice small goldies from A and Js. 3 of us heading out mid morning looks like a nice day.

8\22
    Headed back to the north of A can this morning at 10 with a buddy. Set up on the same spot as yesterday while looking at some pretty good marks on the bottom and up about 2 feet. As soon as the boat stopped we were covered with midges, head to toe, had to keep wiping them off my glasses to be able to see. Got to enjoy there company for a couple of hours till we got enough of a breeze to carry them off. We were catching perch only on the top hook of hour crappy rigs, so I put 12 inches of leader between the weight and the bottom of the rig to get it higher off the bottom, that started producing some doubles and more consistent singles. It wasn't a fast bite it took us 3 hours to catch our limits. Fished with goldies from A and Js, and the perch weighed 20 lbs at Shato's.

8\23
    3 of us went back to the area north of A can that I had been fishing the last 3 days. Started fishing at 10 am and headed back around 2 pm with our 90 perch. It took a while for the guys with me to get used to the light bite, and they went through a lot of bait till they got the hang of it. Only had a few shorts to throw back, and a few white perch that we fed the seagulls. Still using 3 hook crappy rigs with most perch being caught on the top hooks. Got 4 scoops of those nice size (1 inch) goldies from A and Js Bait, and the 90 fish weighed 29 lbs at Shatto's.Perch-23-jpg
    Last edited by 5285; 08-23-2020 at 10:59 PM.

Default Perch 8/21, 8/22, 8/23

Quote Originally Posted by 5285 View Post
    8\23
    3 of us went back to the area north of A can that I had been fishing the last 3 days. Started fishing at 10 am and headed back around 2 pm with our 90 perch. It took a while for the guys with me to get used to the light bite, and they went through a lot of bait till they got the hang of it. Only had a few shorts to throw back, and a few white perch that we fed the seagulls. Still using 3 hook crappy rigs with most perch being caught on the top hooks. Got 4 scoops of those nice size (1 inch) goldies from A and Js Bait, and the 90 fish weighed 29 lbs at Shatto's.Perch-23-jpg
    Fished the same program as above for 3 days with 4 guys. we ran all over the lake from Water intake, Crane Reef, B can and A can. Caught about 90% of our fish around A can in 3 days. 90 perch on Thursday and 25 pounds at cleaners. 30 fish on Friday and 12 pounds at cleaners and 70 perch on Saturday, with 19 pounds at cleaners. Fished about 6 hours each day. On Thursday we got some large emerald shiners at Hi-way Dons that we had to cut in half and thirds. I think this lead to the bigger catch on Thursday out of the three days. Friday and Saturday we used Goldies from Butch and Denny's.

Bite was light. Used crappie rigs with an additional snelled hook on sinker clip that caught a lot of fish on Thursday and Friday however like above, the bite on Saturday was coming off the top hook! Fishing was a little slow at times however we limited on 30 packs of Busch Latte each day to make a great trip with two old sets of brothers!

8/24
    Out again by myself this afternoon. Thought I would try a spot around L can where I saw quite a few boats yesterday. Idling around I found some marks and set up. Just as I got the second rod on the bottom, the first one went down. As soon as I set the hook I knew it was a sheephead. As I was bringing it up the second rod bent hard over the side of the boat, I heard a snap and watched the rod tip and last 3 inches of my favorite rod slide down the line and into the water. Obviously I was angry, but as I released the first fish I remembered a book about the native fish of Lake Erie that I had read 40 years ago. The author described how amazing it was that a few species had survived the commercial over harvesting, poisons, and pollution the lake has suffered over the last hundred years, and that the Fresh Water Drum was one of them. That memory had a calming effect on me, and I was actually smiling as I released the 24" offender. I did promptly leave the area, and moved to where I hoped the fish would be a little more considerate of my St Croix ultra lite rods.
    Ended up back at the same spot north of A can that I have been fishing for a week now, and the perch were still there. 2 and a half hours to catch a limit. Very subtle nibbles, almost imperceptible on the rod tip, and most fish caught on the top hook. Still using the nice small goldies bought from A and Js, on 3 hook crappy rigs. Fish weighed 10 lbs at Shatto's
    Last edited by 5285; 08-24-2020 at 10:46 PM.