Perch Perch Perch Perch
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Perch

D Can super light bite. Keep the rod in your hand. No down poles. Uses shinners. No bling. Will not catch anything on bling. 3 man limit in 3 hrs. Trust me, they are there.

My 2 cents. My wife and I fished Sunday from 7 until 9:30 21ft of water north of Crane Creek. Had 50 in the box using salted emerald shiners. We ran out and started using goldies with no bites for 30 mins. She said it’s time to head in and I always do what she says. 17 pounds at cleaners.
    Last edited by LunkerM; 07-27-2020 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Add info

Default New to the board

Quote Originally Posted by LunkerM View Post
    My 2 cents. My wife and I fished Sunday from 7 until 9:30 21ft of water north of Crane Creek. Had 50 in the box using salted emerald shiners. We ran out and started using goldies with no bites for 30 mins. She said itÂ’s time to head in and I always do what she says. 17 pounds at cleaners.
    I have been out of the game for a couple of years. Sold my Crestliner, really miss it. Picked up a 1989 gls175 Sea Nymph with a 60vro Johnson. Anyway my question is, I do most my fishing around the islands and launch out of Mazurik or Camp ramp. Done some perch fishing around Marblehead and Kelly's. Not much around the cans. Fly fished for walleye there once got a few keepers. If I apply the same principal of catching them as you guys do is the area around Marblehead good right now and do the perch migrate the way walleye do.
    Last edited by badboards; 07-27-2020 at 01:12 PM.

I have been out of the game for a couple of years. Sold my Crestliner, really miss it. Picked up a 1989 gls175 Sea Nymph with a 60vro Johnson. Anyway my question is, I do most my fishing around the islands and launch out of Mazurik or Camp ramp. Done some perch fishing around Marblehead and Kelly's. Not much around the cans. Jig fished for walleye there once got a few keepers. If I apply the same principal of catching them as you guys do is the area around Marblehead good right now and do the perch migrate the way walleye do.
    Last edited by badboards; 07-27-2020 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Type o

perch do not migrate like walleye. They are not going to go in schools from WB, passing Marblehead on way to CB and beyond. From what I have read a perch will live its life in WB, or CB, or EB but only few move between. But I'm sure the Marblehead area perch will be getting together soon if not already. Probably just not many reports yet.

Rickerd

I read an article from one of the Toledo news papers that explained a lot of useful knowledge about perch and when and how to fish for them. You guys do a great job keeping people informed on this forum. Keep up the good work. Thanks.

7/29
    This afternoon I went back to that same waypoint (north side of Big Pickerel) that I started fishing last Thursday. It was a very pleasant surprise to still be marking a nice school of perch on the bottom. The waves were 2 to 3 foot which is usually too much for the "spotlock" and requires dropping an anchor, but since I was by myself I figured I'd try the trolling motor. After deploying the ulterra I dropped the rig to the bottom and started raising it up, felt a hit set the hook and pulled up a triple. The perch were biting well and I had 12 in the cooler in 20 minutes. Then the trolling motor quit holding and I was drifting. After mentally chastising myself for not dropping the anchor to start with, I started the boat to head back to my waypoint. When I looked at the sonar there were still good marks on the bottom so I dropped the anchor and went back to fishing, in an hour I had my limit. I was using a 3 hook crappy rig with goldies from Bite Me Bait, 30 perch were 10 lbs at Shatto's
    Besides the 30 perch there were 3 sheephead, 6 white perch and 9 six and seven inch perch that were released.
    Last edited by 5285; 07-29-2020 at 11:23 PM.

7/30
    Back to the same spot 2 of us caught a limit in 4 hours. A lot more 6 and 7 inch throw backs, and no shortage of white perch and sheephead. Got a 50/50 mix of shiners and goldies from A and Js, 21 lbs at Shatto's. Taking a group of 6 out in the morning. Looks like a rough ride out, supposed to smooth out as the day goes on.

Told my buddy about recent good perch bite.He went out shore nuff head boat yesterday.Went home with 9 6-8" perch.

8/3
    Saturday 7 of us went out to the same spot south of B can, and dropped the anchor at 7 am over the same good marks that I have been seeing for the last 10 days. Bite was steady and we pulled the anchor at 10 am with 210 perch in the box. Threw back some 6" to 7" fish and had the occasional white perch and sheep head. Most perch were up off the bottom 1 and a half to 2 and a half feet, very few caught on the bottom hook. The guys were missing a lot of bites so I cut the bait in half, that improved the catch rate dramatically with no noticeable affect on the time between hits. Used 3 hook crappy rigs with 50/50 mix of shiners and goldies from A and Js. There was a noticeable lack of 11" and 12" perch that we had been catching before. The guys took the fish to have them cleaned so I did not know the weight. I would guess it at 9 lbs per 30 perch.