Dipsey/True Trip rods? Dipsey/True Trip rods? Dipsey/True Trip rods? Dipsey/True Trip rods?

Default Dipsey/True Trip rods?

I am wanting to be prepared for my next trip out in the end of September. I am wanting to get a couple rods setup for dipseys or True Trips. I currently have Diawa Great Lakes 7 foot med light fast action rods for pulling boards. I really like these rods. Will they do the job pulling dipseys? Or what Diawa Great Lakes rod would you suggest. What makes a good dipsey rod? Is it the slower action so the rod loads up better. Also why are most dipsey rods 8-10 foot long. I plan on putting Diawa Sealine 17s with 30# braid on them. I will be pulling #1 dipseys and TT 40s. Thanks for all the help.

my 7ft ML action okuma rods work ok for 40 and 50 TT off the back corners so i am sure your diawas will work then you would have all the same poles when i salmon fish my dipsey rods are 10ft helps keep them out and away from downriggers also a lighter rod may help with false trips when its ruff

Thanks for the feed back. I think i will give them a try. I also have a couple Cabelas depthmaster 9 foot rods i think i will bring along. I tried them for pulling boards but they seem a little to stiff for that.

I imagine most people use the longer rods for dipsys so you can stick the rod off the side parallel to water and get them further off to the side. Also, dipsys want to run on braid line and TTs run best on mono. The mono absorbs the shock of the waves if there are any and the braid has no stretch to make the dipsy dig deeper, with less line out.

Rickerd

your rods will work just fine. but 7' med cheap glass rods are all you need for dipsy's. braid is a must for dipsy's. you cant get a dipsy to trip with mono because it has to much stretch. I use a rubber snubber behind my dipsy then my 6' fluro leader. but the main reason for the braid is if you set the release loose enough to trip with mono it would trip on every wave. I can say what line is best with tt because I've never used them.

always put a mono backing on your reel before putting braid on. braid has a tendency to slip on the spool if you don't do something. the more backing you use the cheaper it will be. but leave enough room for braid.