40 Tru trips & trolling 40 Tru trips & trolling 40 Tru trips & trolling 40 Tru trips & trolling
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 40 Tru trips & trolling

Hey all, really looking for some help with this. I am new to trolling. Been drifting and casting since I was a kid. I recently got some 40 Tru Trips, new 8'6" rods, line counter reels, and already had spoons, harnesses, etc.

Here are my questions:
    When you are trolling 40 Tru Trips, I understand the depths and how the speed works as I have a chart but what I don't know is how long of a leader do you put on your spoons or harnesses? What kind of line should I use for the leader?

2nd, how do you know when a fish is on? Is it obvious? Does the rod bend over a lot more? If you are marking fish at 23' in 30' of water, should the bait be at 17-20'?

I have read a lot and seen plenty on the internet but I'm still lost here. This may seem like a silly question but I am just trying to learn from someone who is willing to give me a few pointers. Thanks and happy fishing.

In normal clarity I use a 6’ leader. Longer if the water is really clear. The trick on telling whether you have a fish on or not is to use matching rods, at least on 1 side of the boat. The one that acts different has a fish on. If you are only gonna run a few board rods, I would run them all on 1 side of the boat. You are ahead to run four or 5 on 1 side as to have 2 & 2 or 2 & 3. With tru trips they should plane up to the top.

Always keep your baits above the marks. If the fish are really high you won’t even get a mark because of the diameter of sonar cone right under the boat may only be a few inches. If you are not catching try your baits only down 5’ or 10’

Thanks a ton for the advice. I really appreciate it. What line should I use for the leaders? All the rods I have are the same, so I can check that off the list!

Mike

Also, what size spoons do you think are best? Does it depend on the size of the fish you are pulling? And what brand of spoons? I have some but I knownthere are a ton out there. Thanks!

Mike

What trolling boards are you using? If offshore boards I would recommend trutrip 30s. They don’t pull quite as hard on the boards. If you put the tattle flags on your boards it will also help you a lot as a new troller.

Hey thanks rick2752. I have offshore boards with the flags. I haven't even used them yet as I was still figuring out the tru trips so far!

You can use the 40s they just pull pretty hard on the board. Google tattle flag system. They come with flags but not the tattle system. Easy to build at home

You will want to run a 6 foot leader so you have some room to net without the tt40 cranked into the rod tip. Leader fluorocarbon 15-20lb will work. Right now I like the 2.25 to 2.75 small spoons. (Today worm burners worked great. Just changed out hook setup on spoons to make burners) I like to slide my weight forward on the small offshore boards which may require a dremel tool and some mods. Line up two or three boards on one side so you can read the boards better. I always like at least one flatline out also.

I use 20# seaguar premier for my leader. in most cases a 6' to 8' will get fish. in rough water a 30tt will work much better than the 40tt. the 40tt will pull the board causing the board to run with the nose up in the air.