40 Tru trips & trolling 40 Tru trips & trolling 40 Tru trips & trolling 40 Tru trips & trolling
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The lead is the length of line in feet that your linecounter reads from the lure to your inline board.If running a dipsey have the rod in a horizontal position in rodholder.The rod tip is usually a couple feet above the water,but the lead is still from the dipsey to rod tip,or what your line counter is reading in the rod holder.If flatlining,with rod sitting in rod holder in back of boat in vertical position,the depth of rig you are running can be difficult to figure,due to rod tip being so high above the water.You have to remember,that the dive charts are a guide to get you close to depth you want your lure to run.It is very difficult to know precisely how deep all your gear is running.There are to many variables that can affect how deep you really are fishing.Your goal when you begin each day is to figure out what depth active fish are feeding,and what type of lure or bait they want to eat.The best way to figure out the depth,is to cover the water column with the lines you have out.Say,you are fishing in 30 feet of water(FOW).The fish on bottom are usually not active fish,but the may still bite.You also know they may come up 4-10ft to hit a lure.I would set my 4 lines to cover 10,16,20and 24 ft down.That should cover a good part of the water.After you catch several fish,you can figure out what lead(depth) the fish are biting and can switch other lines to match what is catching.

Branhamauto,
    I'm just trying to get him started trolling. with only 2 onboard 1 usually has to steer the boat. With the fishing we've had this year, it is tough for someone learning to troll to take care of 3 or 4 rods. You on the other hand could probably handle 6 rods. or more!

But to your point, if he wants to compare one board next to another, to learn to read them with each other, then yes run 2 on one side of boat, usually Starboard so captain can see them better. You can also run 2 dipsy rods a side and read them with each other. But a Bottom bouncer will always tell you when it is hooked up and in 30 fow or more, usually a flatline is all you need.

This Bottom Bouncer has always been the first trolling technique I teach people because it is simple. Line to 6oz. bouncer, 6' leader to bait or spoon, let out line until you hit bottom, engage reel to set distance and you are trolling. (ideal line angle to water line is about 45 degrees. over 60 degrees is too much, so use more weight) This will put you 2 feet above bottom. If you really want to get down, let out a few more feet until you feel bottom second time and engage reel. Now you are bouncing on bottom and kickin up mud. bring on the walleyes.
    Rickerd

After trolling for a while,you will start to see patterns of what leads work best for certain lures or divers.We often have 3 people fishing on board,so have 6 lines out.We will run 4 inline boards and 2dipseys at a 3setting.We frequently run harnesses off #2 tadpoles.After several years of running the tadpoles,i remember several leads that frequently catch.The leads are 37,45 and 60.The dipseys actually run pretty close to the same leads as my #2 tadpoles.Last week 40 and 45 on the dipseys were catching.This season,we have been running stinger spoons a lot more off my #30 true trips(TT).One lead for my 30TT has been 65 lead.Another popular lead that worked was a 50 lead when using 3oz sinker with my harnesses in water that was around 40fow.One thing in common with the leads that catch is that the depth they are catching is 2/3 or 67% of the way down in any water I am running.In other words,if fishing in 30fow,make sure you have a lure at 20ft down.If in 40fow have one 26ft down.Works a lot of the time.

Thanks for clarifying, Bggeary. Just trying to make sure I have thought of everything I can!

Quote Originally Posted by Bggeary View Post
    That is correct 35' = 17 whatever if the tip pf your pole was in the water, add whatever else you need.

Thanks, rickerd. I know there is a lot to this, and I'm sure as I gain experience I will start to learn the best practices. I appreciate all the input I am getting.

Quote Originally Posted by rickerd View Post
    Branhamauto,
    I'm just trying to get him started trolling. with only 2 onboard 1 usually has to steer the boat. With the fishing we've had this year, it is tough for someone learning to troll to take care of 3 or 4 rods. You on the other hand could probably handle 6 rods. or more!

But to your point, if he wants to compare one board next to another, to learn to read them with each other, then yes run 2 on one side of boat, usually Starboard so captain can see them better. You can also run 2 dipsy rods a side and read them with each other. But a Bottom bouncer will always tell you when it is hooked up and in 30 fow or more, usually a flatline is all you need.

This Bottom Bouncer has always been the first trolling technique I teach people because it is simple. Line to 6oz. bouncer, 6' leader to bait or spoon, let out line until you hit bottom, engage reel to set distance and you are trolling. (ideal line angle to water line is about 45 degrees. over 60 degrees is too much, so use more weight) This will put you 2 feet above bottom. If you really want to get down, let out a few more feet until you feel bottom second time and engage reel. Now you are bouncing on bottom and kickin up mud. bring on the walleyes.
    Rickerd

Another question...if I am running Michigan stinger scorpion spoons, do you guys use a swivel on the leader that attaches to the spoon?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Yes you want a high quality one and make sureservations is spins easy. Have seen some not let the spoon do its thing.
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Quote Originally Posted by Framemaster View Post
    Another question...if I am running Michigan stinger scorpion spoons, do you guys use a swivel on the leader that attaches to the spoon?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    I use a duo lock snap on the spoon end. No swivel. Usually colored Red. I'm not sure of the size.

You'll want a good quality snap swivel on the Jet end. Use a large enough, and quality swivel. Or replace as soon as you think it may not be swiveling. If you see a kink in your line, you waited too long.

I'd be curious what others use on their spoon leaders?

So should i put a swivel on both ends of the leader or no need on the end attached to the tru trip?
    Thanks!
    Mike

We use a strong swivel going to the jet, most of the time the 40tt has a duo lock on it, you can either tie straight to this or use another swivel to hook to it, and of course one down by the spoon, worm harness, crank bait or water you want to pull behind it
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters