40 Tru trips & trolling 40 Tru trips & trolling 40 Tru trips & trolling 40 Tru trips & trolling
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I run 40tt behind my offshore with very little issue and use the new tattle flags.....they gave spring adjust mentioned going up the flag shaft.

I tried moving the weight forward, but found I got the board to ride better and pull better off the side by dropping the rear tow arm eye screw down about 3/4 the way down the back side of the board. This will cause the board to not be pulled down from the top, and allow the boards to ride more level and pull out better. I believe the brand new boards come this way. On a side note when running just cranks like bandits or other deep divers I bring the arm back up. If not the boards so far up they lay over in turns.

A few draw backs I'm seeing with the 40TT behind my boards are if you get a small fish and the jet doest trip it can some time be hard to tell. The flag is set a little tighter and doesn't show this sometimes and the board pull hard enough to not show on the rods, especially in some waved. The second is if the jet trips because of the pull of the boards it can be tough to tell,

Non tripping jets would dive back down on drive by hit and miss, and I think would surface better with little fish and might be seen at the waters surface dragging a short.
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Great input. Thanks, Crooked Eye.

Mike

Hey, thanks a lot for the input! Would you say that the easiest way to start out is with 4 rods and 4 boards? Just trying to make sure I don't make a mess of it to start out. Or should I just try it with 2 boards and 2 rods to get the hang of it? Usually its just me and one other person on the boat at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by branhamautomotive View Post
    I run 40tt behind my offshore with very little issue and use the new tattle flags.....they gave spring adjust mentioned going up the flag shaft.

I tried moving the weight forward, but found I got the board to ride better and pull better off the side by dropping the rear tow arm eye screw down about 3/4 the way down the back side of the board. This will cause the board to not be pulled down from the top, and allow the boards to ride more level and pull out better. I believe the brand new boards come this way. On a side note when running just cranks like bandits or other deep divers I bring the arm back up. If not the boards so far up they lay over in turns.

A few draw backs I'm seeing with the 40TT behind my boards are if you get a small fish and the jet doest trip it can some time be hard to tell. The flag is set a little tighter and doesn't show this sometimes and the board pull hard enough to not show on the rods, especially in some waved. The second is if the jet trips because of the pull of the boards it can be tough to tell,

Non tripping jets would dive back down on drive by hit and miss, and I think would surface better with little fish and might be seen at the waters surface dragging a short.

Thanks, Sherman51 for your input on the leader line and tt30s. Didn't even think of that, but it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    I use 20# seaguar premier for my leader. in most cases a 6' to 8' will get fish. in rough water a 30tt will work much better than the 40tt. the 40tt will pull the board causing the board to run with the nose up in the air.

there are many days when I just run (2) flatlines off the back and do well even limits.

It is easiest to start by flatlining 2 rods off the back. (no boards or divers is flatlining) I run a tt40 with a spoon or harness on port side with a bottom bouncer or diver on the starboard. This keeps one near the top and one near the bottom. 2 people can easily handle this set up. Then put your tt40 on a board and run it out another 80 feet. Then put another tt40 out at a shorter depth and run it out with a board 50 feet. Now you have 3 running. You have probably already gotten bit on one or two so keep an eye on lines. If not run a 4th rod off the starboard side by adding diver set to run far off the side but above the first diver or bouncer. This is a typical WB setup and you can cover quite a bit of water from 5' down to 40' of water depth. Once the fish seem to prefer a depth of lure or type of presentation, move the others close to that. Some days the bouncer or diver will give you the biggest fish. sometimes it happens to be a FO sheepshead. I have caught 10#ers (walleye) on bouncer or diver in central basin like this.

Keep in mind you want to use braid line with dipsies (divers) so they really dig in and move out away from the boat.
    Rickerd

I agree that the TT30 work better than the TT40 on the offshore inline boards.Have used both and the TT40 pull very hard and you will have to adjust the tension on the tattle flag.My leaders for spoons are 7ft and my harnesses have 6.5ft length on them.Seaguar 17lb fluorocarbon for leader.

Thanks for the great advice. Just a note of clarification; when I am reading the depth chart for tru trips, is it correct that the lead = the amount of line you let out to reach a certain depth? For instance, if the lead says 35 and the depth = 17.5', that means you let out 35 ft of line to reach that depth? Also, do you take into account how far the line is above the water to the reel and add that length to the total?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rickerd View Post
    there are many days when I just run (2) flatlines off the back and do well even limits.

It is easiest to start by flatlining 2 rods off the back. (no boards or divers is flatlining) I run a tt40 with a spoon or harness on port side with a bottom bouncer or diver on the starboard. This keeps one near the top and one near the bottom. 2 people can easily handle this set up. Then put your tt40 on a board and run it out another 80 feet. Then put another tt40 out at a shorter depth and run it out with a board 50 feet. Now you have 3 running. You have probably already gotten bit on one or two so keep an eye on lines. If not run a 4th rod off the starboard side by adding diver set to run far off the side but above the first diver or bouncer. This is a typical WB setup and you can cover quite a bit of water from 5' down to 40' of water depth. Once the fish seem to prefer a depth of lure or type of presentation, move the others close to that. Some days the bouncer or diver will give you the biggest fish. sometimes it happens to be a FO sheepshead. I have caught 10#ers (walleye) on bouncer or diver in central basin like this.

Keep in mind you want to use braid line with dipsies (divers) so they really dig in and move out away from the boat.
    Rickerd

Thanks, itsbob for the info on the leader line and leader length. I am learning a lot on here. Can't wait to try some of it out.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    I agree that the TT30 work better than the TT40 on the offshore inline boards.Have used both and the TT40 pull very hard and you will have to adjust the tension on the tattle flag.My leaders for spoons are 7ft and my harnesses have 6.5ft length on them.Seaguar 17lb fluorocarbon for leader.

That is correct 35' = 17 whatever if the tip pf your pole was in the water, add whatever else you need.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Quote Originally Posted by Framemaster View Post
    Hey, thanks a lot for the input! Would you say that the easiest way to start out is with 4 rods and 4 boards? Just trying to make sure I don't make a mess of it to start out. Or should I just try it with 2 boards and 2 rods to get the hang of it? Usually its just me and one other person on the boat at a time.
    I would not run just 1 line per side, it's esker to read if a board is doing something different if there is more on a side. If youhave 2 ppl I would try running 2 boards a side I like to try to keep at least 30 to 35 ft between my board, less tangles on turns
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters