Camping and keeping fish fresh Camping and keeping fish fresh Camping and keeping fish fresh Camping and keeping fish fresh

Default Camping and keeping fish fresh

Headed out to East harbor state park wednesday of this week. Was wondering what you campers (tent camping) do to keep fish over time. We'll be fishing 3-4 days and breaking camp on monday morning. Id like to get my fish cleaned and frozen. I know there are cleaning services available for a fee. Do any of them offer freezer service or otherwise hold fish until one "leaves town." I have no problem cleaning my own fish either and would bring along a food sealer to portion packages to my preferences but where to go to freeze fish. Ive never held fish more than three days without freezing (i.e. ice chest dedicated to only fish).
    Any tips??? I asked at east harbor state park last year but they offer no such freezer facility/service.

Check with Bays Edge Fish Cleaning. They are not far from East Harbor. I believe that if you let them know up front when you will pick them up, they would keep them 4 days. Biggest problem would be that fishing is so good right now, they are extremely busy.

I will second bays edge, last fall I dropped off a buck full of bluegill and crappie. This was later on a Sunday, told them I wouldnt be back till either the following Friday or sat. They didn't charge me anything extra to hold
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

I think they would be fine vacuum sealed and on ice for that amount of time. Don't forget to tag the packs with dates and how many fish in case you are checked by the GW. If they are frozen they can't tell how many there are in the bag. Just read the regulations well.
    Thanks Matt

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Yeah,remember reading sign at Bays Edge that says will freeze fish left longer than three days at owners expense.So they do hold and freeze fish.If you ask ahead,they may not charge you.Their number is 419-732-9960.But yes,they have been busy cleaning all those 2015 fish.

Get yourself some dry ice. It will mess up a nice cooler, so get a styrofoam one that you can toss. That will freeze your fish solid and last a few days.

Since I have a cottage in the area it isn't needed, but when I have gone to Wisconsin, Michigan, or Canada fishing and tent camping, that's what I have done.

Cleaning yourself is not an option. Your situation will fall under the rule:

"Fillets must be kept whole until an angler reaches their permanent residence, or until the fish are prepared for immediate consumption. This does not apply to anglers with a receipt from a fish cleaning house or charter captain which states the date, number, and type of fish possessed. Fish must be transported whole or as a complete fillet while returning from the Lake Erie islands on a commercial ferry boat."

Most cleaners will freeze your fish. Some charge extra. Keep your receipts, until you're at your "permanent residence".

I just put mine in freezer bags and keep them on ice in a big cooler. I put how many fish I put in a bag. put the date and how many fishermen caught the fish. I have kept fish fresh for 6 days this way. never had fish go bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ted View Post
    Cleaning yourself is not an option. Your situation will fall under the rule:

"Fillets must be kept whole until an angler reaches their permanent residence, or until the fish are prepared for immediate consumption. This does not apply to anglers with a receipt from a fish cleaning house or charter captain which states the date, number, and type of fish possessed. Fish must be transported whole or as a complete fillet while returning from the Lake Erie islands on a commercial ferry boat."

Most cleaners will freeze your fish. Some charge extra. Keep your receipts, until you're at your "permanent residence".
    I opted for bays edge and an paying extra for them to freeze and hold them till Monday.
    Just curious how my self cleaned fillets would not be considered "whole" as you stated? It says fillets must be kept whole as opposed to the fish being kept whole. Not sure I follow your logic/interpretation.
    BTW fishing has been solid yesterday and today. Limits both days out of Huron. Predominately eater sized with a few mid 20's thrown in. Fishing with Juls put us on fish right away. Hard part was to decided whether or not to trust forecast and if we should return to that area or seek sheltered waters because of forecasted winds. Made the right call and had flat water where there "shouldn't have been" for our second days' limits. Tomorrow's weather appears to present significant changes in the winds for the worse. Should at last get half a day in but hopefully need only a couple of hours.
    Last edited by karloutdoors; 06-08-2018 at 08:37 PM.