Engine trouble Engine trouble Engine trouble Engine trouble
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine trouble

Default Engine trouble

I have a 2000 mercruiser 250 hp 2 barrel inboard outboard. It starts and idles fine, I can rev it up in neutral with no problem. I can put it in gear and idle out the dock but as soon as I give it gas it stalls right away.I have changed the gas and water seperater in the fall. Is there anyone that has had this problem? Looking for some advice. Thank you.

sometimes there is another fuel filter were the fuel line goes into carb or may be electrical like bad condenser in the distributor

Quote Originally Posted by Greatwhitehunter View Post
    I have a 2000 mercruiser 250 hp 2 barrel inboard outboard. It starts and idles fine, I can rev it up in neutral with no problem. I can put it in gear and idle out the dock but as soon as I give it gas it stalls right away.I have changed the gas and water seperater in the fall. Is there anyone that has had this problem? Looking for some advice. Thank you.
    Could you be more specific on the engine? 5.0 - 5.7 L? It does sound like a fuel delivery problem. Ethanol can build up a lot of white crusty crud in fuel delivery components. Sounds like main jets could be partially plugged. Will it slowly gain speed if you throttle up slowly? Or will it die with any acceleration at all when engaged to drive the prop? How old is the fuel could be a bunch of water in it too.
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 05-14-2018 at 09:00 AM. Reason: spelling- more momentary
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Had an IO that and had lots of trouble with bad fuel had to change the water separator a lot. The shift cable also stretched and had to be replaced because the neutral cut out switch would kick in at the wrong time and kill the engine as you moved the throttle.

Default Water?

I have had lots of water problems especially when using that crappy ethanol gas. I have an outboard, but one time I emptied the same separator about five times in a row until I started getting all gasoline. You can also try that dry gas stuff you can get at auto store. Good luck.

A few years back with another boat had a similar problem to much time sitting on shore so called one of those boys for a dock call over the years and probably the ethanol usage by previous owner the gas lines got weak, the line would collapse when you tried to
    accelerate starving engine for gas. I did not get to watch to see it collapse but replaced about 8 feet of hose and fished that afternoon and no problems then on.

Gene

Rochester carbs, as mentioned, have a small filter that'll do exactly that, let you start, idle, run, but it collapses if dirty and eventually won't even allow you to run fast at all. I always run Yamaha's Ringfree into my carbs when ever I let them sit. Most additives are isopropyl alcohol, which is great in the spring and such, but Ringfree has zyline(sp?) in it which cleans up your carb while it sits.

Cool gas tank

clean the fuel tank filter and check the checkball if gas is being restricted in the tank

I had the same exact issue last season. It ended up being the anti siphon valve on the fuel tank. So follow your fuel line to where it connects to the tank. Your fuel line will be connected to the valve. It will unscrew from the pickup tube. if you look inside you will see a small ball that has a spring behind it. You will probable see rust. You can clean it or replace the valve with a new one... If you clean it, make sure the ball moves freely when you push it from the tank side.
    A new one is about 15 bucks.

clean carb and if possible replace all old gas line. the inner wall of older gasa lines will separate causing you to not get enough fuel when placed under a load. i have had this happen to me before.