Weather water stir-up: effect on fishing Weather water stir-up: effect on fishing Weather water stir-up: effect on fishing Weather water stir-up: effect on fishing
    Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Unhappy Weather water stir-up: effect on fishing

I'm sure it's on everyone's mind: how will the big gale effect the fishing the next few days? It lays down tonight and then the forecast calls for a 180 degree wind switch from the West. 15-25mph, not bad but will cause the currents to make a quick complete change. Then back to the East on Wednesday. Plus the rain drainage coming in from the Maumee and Portage rivers. The Lake was already stirred up. It's probably going to be a muddy mess for the entire week and maybe into next weekend.

How do the experienced spawn fishing folks expect it to effect the fishing?

Ugh! :-(

IMO. The blow will result in a fish kill equal to whatever fish would be bagged in April.

Probably more.

Default High water

Any higher and my boat will float off of jack stands and i get insurance check and buy me a new one and its close

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    IMO. The blow will result in a fish kill equal to whatever fish would be bagged in April.
    Your telling me fish die when it blows hard like that? what is the reasoning behind it?

I would think he’s talking about future Walleyes. He thinks the the eggs will not hatch. I don’t believe that’s the case. Erie always has had heavy weather. It hasn’t effected them yet.
    Last edited by TabBiser; 04-16-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Of course the weather affects the fertilization rate and survival rate. Otherwise there would be much less deviation in the hatch from one year to the next. Also I believe when you have extreme blows, or many blows throughout the spawn it beats the hell out of them resulting less fish surviving the spawn. Think about it, all these fish staging up in 5 feet to 20 on the reefs. When it’s like that, they can’t see anything and are in 7 to 12 foot waves, in 5 to 20 feet of water, beating the hell out of them. Walk the beach after a couple of big blows during the spawn, dead walleye everywhere.