Dipsy vs jets Dipsy vs jets Dipsy vs jets Dipsy vs jets
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dipsy vs jets

Default Dipsy vs jets

I am new to the trolling game just wondering if anyone has any real preference between dipsy's or jets to get your bait down to the depth that you want. Is 1 more or less tangle-free.

usually you run both. well i do. so jets can't go out to the sides of the boat. unless you use big boards you need to use jets with dipsy's because the dipsy's will move out away from the boat allowing you to run more then one line. so if you set your dipsy to say a 1 it will go slightly out from the boat and if you run another on a 3 it will run even further out from the boat. both setting run at different depths though. you would have to look at the dive curve for both. also you can run them with or without the o ring. that's the black ring around the outside. jets just run straight back. i run 2 straight off the back and 2 dipsy's off the side. different sizes make for different depths. i use true trip 40 and 50's jets. make sure you get the true trip jets. i also run the medium and large size dipsy's. think they are 1's and megas. something like that.

I run both, days when dipsy's will be hot or jets will be. Jets run a little further away from boat when on boards than you can get with dipsy's. Gives you an added element of seeing what they want and dialing them in. I like the options.

I like TruTrips because they float if you need to stop, like in boat traffic. Also as previously stated, make sure you get TruTrips not just jets. TruTrips have a release when you hook a fish so you don't have to fight the diver.

Thanks all sounds like Tru trips are the answer

Fishhawk, definitely go with the tru trips. Just be aware that you may need to adjust the tightness of the release stem. If set too light it will prematurely release while setting it in rod holder if you get over anxious getting it in there quickly. However, if set too tight it will not release upon hooking up with a fish. Doesn't take long to get them set properly. Depends on which crank, harness, spoon you are using. Very easy to set.

I have only really used trutrips and I like them. I had issues this year when I was fishing when it was a little rough and the walleye were small. When the waves are rough you tighten the Phillips head screw so the waves don't trip them but the small fish won't trip them either. Easy to drag a 12 inch fish around when it's rough out.

My two cents.

I've got a whole bag full of dipseys, and trutrips, and a few others. Once I started using tadpole 2 oz. weights, I never use them any more. I guess it depends on how many rods you are pulling, and if you are using/types boards. They are just so easy for me. I don't think I will be using them any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhawk97 View Post
    I am new to the trolling game just wondering if anyone has any real preference between dipsy's or jets to get your bait down to the depth that you want. Is 1 more or less tangle-free.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

My only dislike for weights and tadpoles is when fishing near the bottom, it easy on a turn to slow down and run it in into to bottom, nor there is grass, shells, worm gone.

I have and tried tadpole behind my small boards and had this happen often, when I run jets I don't get this. I also don't shuffle my boards, so if a middle board comes in it goes back to middle by letting straight out the back then letting it pull up into slot. And doing this will almost 100% put my bait on the bottom b4 the board pulls up.

True on that when close to the bottom everything down there will take a bite of your worm. I just take long turns and stay up in the water column mostly. I have had my share of troubles with dispys too though when it comes to grass. especially when the surface it covered with them and they run down your line. Have you ever reeled in your dipsey only to find it has been winding up your line? I've had some crazy looking springs/ bird nests a time or two. lol There is good and bad with all of them that's for sure.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium