Ice fishing Tackle Ice fishing Tackle Ice fishing Tackle Ice fishing Tackle

Default Ice fishing Tackle

I am going in head first with the ice fishing this year( Ice permitting) I have the shanty,auger, rods,tip ups,vexlar, sled and accessories.

My question is about spoons and jigs. I was wondering with the size of lake erie walleye, are the spoons and jigs needed bigger. 1/8 oz on the spoons seems to be standard but i'm not sure. Any help for a new ice fisherman would be greatly appreciated! Please feel free to add any other ice fishing gear must have ideas you might have.

Se ya on the hard water,
    Tom

tkymasters Guest

Lake Erie is tough to ice fish.. You never know what the ice conditions are going to be like.. Whenever I go out on Erie, I'm in front attached to an ATV (driven by GF) with a spud testing the ice. 3 inches of ice is the minimum for me on Erie.

I mainly use 6# test with jigs and minnows, minnows on tip ups, or even worm harness.

One thing you'll definitely need is a Heater Buddy.. Walmart had the best price..$89.99. Gander Mtn was $129.99

wanderin_eyes Guest

Thanks for the info I may try this year if we get some good ice. usally my idea of ice fishing is going to the basement and opening the freezer to get them out. This year the family ate most of the eyes before I could save any.

I also like the quote

"I love furry woodland creatures on my plate with battered aquatic pets. "
    Thanks

Smile Try these for kicks

We use basically 3 lures for the ice eyes.

Spoons-- Williams Warblers

Jigs- Rapalas #3 Perch w/ Gold metallic finish

Jigs- Swedish pimples-- size varies by current conditions and color varies too, but we always seem to go with Lime Green and Chartruese.

Heres my trick with jigging Rapalas. Yank and let fall twice. On the third yank stop it at the top and lower it very slowly. Also lift it off the bottom slowly and just give it a little twitch. I only put one minnow on the treble hook also, but thats a personal preference.

Good Luck and Good Fishing