Where to fish Walleye and or Perch Aug 4-6 Where to fish Walleye and or Perch Aug 4-6 Where to fish Walleye and or Perch Aug 4-6 Where to fish Walleye and or Perch Aug 4-6
    Blog Entries

Default Where to fish Walleye and or Perch Aug 4-6

Looking for information on trolling for walleye this time of the year (bait, location, speed, depth). I will be using big boards with dipsy's and maybe a couple downriggers. Would prefer to stay at Fenwick in oak harbor because of the reasonable price and i also like to stay on my boat, but i will travel east if i need to. Also interested in the perch bite. Any information would be greatly appreciated and i will report back to the group.
    Last edited by Rick Reed; 07-29-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

I’m not a troller, so no real help there, but as far as location goes August generally means deeper water & farther out. Water temperatures are high, will get to their peak towards the end of the month, upper 70’s, even low 80’s on real warm years. The cooler water coming in from the Detroit river (a few degrees) means fishing out around West Sister Island and along the Canadian Border in that deeper, slightly cooler water is a good place to start. There is no thermocline in the Western Basin this time of year, meaning the water temperature is within a degree or two from the surface to the bottom. Finding water the larger walleye prefer is tricky since temperature isn’t as big a factor this time of year. Look for clearer water as it will probably be a little higher in oxygen content compared to the near shore stained or less clear waters. Algae will also play a part, as toxins and other water quality issues will drive fish out of water with a lot of algae and/or other biological bye products. Thus clearer water is usually better.

The Lake is now getting full of prey as all the fish that were spawned last spring are getting big enough to be on the walleye’s menu, so picking a lure is probably more critical than earlier in the summer.

Also try the evening bite around the reef complex. Sometimes walleye are more active in the evening during the twilight period, plus a lot less boats to contend with.

As far as perch, the traditional places should pick up, such as the Camp Perry range buoys A and B (west); E, F, and G (east), as well as off Green and Rattlesnake Islands.

Hope that helps a little.

Blog Entries

Thank you for the information. I have only fished lake Erie once and that was this spring during the spawn. The first day was great and the second day i couldn't get my boat turned around quick enough, waves were to big for me. I will let you know how it goes.

Before this NE blow there was walleye being caught by northwest reef,also called the kidney.The perch fishing has picked up around western basin and you would put more meat in freezer with the perch than walleye in August.All the bait stores will tell you the current hot spot for perch,but due to shortage of shinners, bait stores charging about $4 a scoop for shiners.