Thursday July 20th drifting report Thursday July 20th drifting report Thursday July 20th drifting report Thursday July 20th drifting report

Default Thursday July 20th drifting report

Can't say that there is much TO say. I had heard folks were hitting them off Cedar Point a few days ago, and we worked from the Marblehead lighthouse east, hitting up everything from 20 FOW fairly close into the bay out to 40 fow a few miles out. Just too darned hot and still and bright to do well casting I think. 2 of us in the boat for about 6 hours caught 6 'eyes, which actually seemed to only be hitting on Chartreuse weapons today (for us anyhow) of which only 2 were keepers, and nothing exciting at that. We tossed them back to grow some more, being 16 and 17". We were spotting stuff on the fish finder out in about 30-35 FOW but whatever it was, it was not hitting at all.

With that being a bust we hit up American Eagle on the way back in, and caught a ton of very nice channel cats. About 20 of them. All 15" and up, with the biggest being 25." So at least we got to feel some more weight on our lines than white perch- which WERE biting off of Cedar Point.

Did get one of those big, disgusting barnyard animals that takes 10 minutes to reel in, peeling line off the drag, pumping... fun enough to reel in on a casting rig but not that exciting that I couldn't have done without it.

Well if you're into that, I can report that there are plenty of fish ohio quality sheephead all around KI shoal and along the east side of the island. Last Sunday 23rd they where slamming a gold deep diver thunderstick. Not our target species though. West side was still productive for casting short eyes. We lost count on those and only boated 1 18" keeper.