West sister island West sister island West sister island West sister island

Default West sister island

Fished at a can yesterday did no good. Fished north of west sister and no good.i was using erie dearie and crankbaits. Any pointers on what I'm doing wrong. Any good hot spots around this area. Thinking about fishing a few reefs. Maybe crane reef. Someone told me yesterday the reefs are marked. Is this true

Trolling the cranks? What kind of cranks? I would head towards Kelly's myself. East of Kelly's has had some bigger fish while west and NW of the island has been holding tons of shorts with some keepers. Around green island and south bass you should be able to find fish too. Unless you have a gps fish finder the reefs are tough to find.

We fished Saturday afternoon from the intake to west sister managed 5 keepers and a zillion 14"we s. It was painful at times how quick they would hit. I couldnt find larger fish so we fished Sunday east of Kelly's and we took our 2 limits on bandits 150 back. I would move that way the marks were great and we probably caught 5 smalls to each keeper. All our fish were 17 and up with the largest around 23. We had 1 on and while putting out a bandit we had to stop because another rod fired. We put the rod in the holder with only 25 feet out. We netted both fish and all of a sudden the rod 25 out took off with a 25" steelhead. Was a fun surprise.

We fished A can on Monday and Thursday. Tadpoles with stinger spoons 48-78 back all caught fish. Lots of shorts. But got some keeper's in the mix. Fun for kids. Speed was 2.3-2.5 color didn't seem to matter.

Agree completely on east of Kelly's. A little slower but bigger fish. When you're in those shorts you can't even get boards set before shorts are on again. Fun for 5 minutes and then mostly annoying.

Well I'm new to all this walleye fishing. I was trying with erie dearie most of the time. Only weight on line was just the erie dearie. My rigging consisted of a swivel clip hooked to erie dearie tipped with worm. I almost think now I was not letting my lure get down deep enough. On the crankbaits it was bandits. I have tried bottom bouncers with worm harnesses but when I cast they get all tangled up. I think I just need to drop them off side of boat. I'm a beginner but trying to learn. Are the reefs marked inside the cans at camp perry

What did you catch the steelhead on just curious ?

Yup the reefs have little markers. They can be tough to find without GPS as I said. If you're using cranks I would troll them. For casting/drifting just make sure you're in contact with the bottom. If you need more weight to feel where the bottom is throw it on in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeland S by SW View Post
    What did you catch the steelhead on just curious ?
    It was complete luck it was a blue chrome bandit 25 feet back. He was setting the rod and we had the others get hit so he just put it in the rod holder.