July 6 trolling July 6 trolling July 6 trolling July 6 trolling
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July 6 trolling

Default July 6 trolling

Wow was it flat yesterday! Time to troll, so my son, wife and I headed east out of mazuriks. Found lots of higher marks at 20 feet and we were in 41 feet of water. We set lines at 845 a.m. and rolled. 2 rods with in lines and bandits at 100 and 2 with 40 tru-trips and harnesses. Bandits were blue chrome with orange belly and huff daddy. Both did awesome! Harnesses were pink and purple. Both did great as well. Couldn't get anything going until 2.5 mph. Once hitting the speed this pocket of fish wanted to see it was go time. O yea, harnesses were run at 70 on the tru-trips. Caught approximately 25 walleye total and 14 of those went in box. Average size was 20.5 inches. Very nice quality! 4 short of limit for the 3 of us but had a blast as always and looking towards Sunday to hit it again. Good luck all!!

Great report, can you say how Far East you went?

Greatwhitehunter, we were northeast of cedar point. Get out there asap! I love to see everyone catch fish. Sorry I don't have numbers. 41 feet of water!

Approximately 4 miles northeast of cedar point.

Nice job! Tight line's

That's almost exactly where we started that day. Same thing... About 1/2 the fish are keepers. Bugs were terrible without the wind for a little while... We primarily fished scorpion stinger spoons behind 3oz weights and bandits. Slower action than being in the shorts but nobody really wants to catch those. Shorts were just NW of Kelly's... Couldn't even get planer boards set before retrieving small fish.
    Last edited by Pauken23; 07-07-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Pauken23 you aren't kiddin about bugs!! Those dudes were real active. Hahaha! That pocket of fish is very impressive, lots of shoulders on them. Did you find that a speed up at 2.5 produced rather than slower?

On a calm day we run about 2.5 regardless. 40hp Mercury engine and that's it. Tough to slow down in the spring without wind to troll in to... Those bugs... I still feel like I have some in my nose... We sprayed my buddies whole boat with backyard "kill everything" bug spray and it didn't help. By the end of the day his whole boat and the two of us were covered in dead bugs. If you saw an 18ft 1970's Lund with a black Mercury motor that day that was us. What kind of boat do you have? Only ones I saw were 3 bigger boats and a bass boat a little closer in than us.
    Last edited by Pauken23; 07-07-2017 at 11:25 PM.

To add, we covered a couple miles in that area and caught fish the whole time. Fished genrally the same depth as M.A.D. Eyes but give or take a few feet didn't seem to matter much. The finder and results were showing the same things the whole time. Some junk out there too per usual...

Pauken23 I run a 2016 starcraft 196 fishmaster. It is black and white with silver and gray decals. 150 yamaha 4 stroke. I generally drift , I'm one of the old school guys but this past spring invested in trolling equipment. Wow did it pay off.