Is the Walleye fishing over Is the Walleye fishing over Is the Walleye fishing over Is the Walleye fishing over

Default Is the Walleye fishing over

I have not had any luck catching walleye once the mayfly hatch starts. Can anyone tell me if they have any success catching walleye and what system and bait they use?
    I am a beginner at this and could use any help I can get.

Walleye can still be caught during the hatch. Look up "Mayfly Rigs" or "Weapon Rigs." They are 18" single hook leader with #3 or #4 Colorado Blade and colored beads. Pick colors that mimic mayfly colors, such as gold. Use 3/8oz to 3/4oz Egg Sinker at loop end with bead for stopper. Walleye can be found at all water depths, feeding on the mayflies. Cast and reel while drifting, working all water levels until you find the fish. A lot of times they will hit the jig as it flutters to the bottom.
    -2014 Tahoe Q5SF named "Fish-N-Tails"
    Tight Lines!

Well we plan on grabbing a bunch of crawlers and going tomorrow or Friday. Going to try trolling small gold stinger spoons (gold simulates the mayfly color) and also troll gold weapons with half a crawler. If that doesn't produce maybe we'll drift and cast weapons. Trying to look for rocky terrain as mayflies come out of the mud. If you can find rocks those fish aren't feeding on mayflies. Basically scale down your size and try to make your bait look like a mayfly... Tough time and will post a report. In the meantime, anyone have a good chunk of rocky terrain to suggest?

I think all those small aggressive walleye will still bite during the hatch.They did back in 2006 for that huge 2003 class of fish.May not need to look for rocks, but Gull Island Schoal is rocky and close to a school of fish.As is most of the reef complex off the shooting range.

Sweet thanks! My buddy has a nice fish finder but we haven't figured out the correct settings to really know if we're on rocks or mud. Obviously big rock formations can be easy to see.

run some in line 1 oz weights 50 back in 34 ft of water along with your two oz sinkers on the bottom, killing the hogs on pink with copper bellies and hotrod copper no. 6 colorado's with chartreuse beads for 3 ft. snells, good luck.... they also are slamming purple with green/chart fingers, silver bellies no. 6 blade seems they'll bite anything.......obviously running meat

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

As already mentioned here once I don't think the mayflies will have the same impact this year and next. With the abundance of all those small walleye out there I doubt the hatches will slow the catch as much, or very much. I wouldn't let it change my fishing plans. We'll see.

We'll also see if they have a noticeable impact on the adult mayflies we see.

Gobs of mayfly larva stuck to lines and on swivels today around kellys. Still landed 23 eyes pulling large cranks.. I look at it like this. I'll eat peanuts all day if there in front of me. but I'll never pass up a steak. GIT SUM!!!

Which side of Kelleys was you fishing on?

*Official Report*

Walleye fishing is done for good...

😂

Going out tomorrow and probably fishing around Kelly's. Going to troll for them with weapons (meat), Bandits and Jets/Spoons. Will post a report per usual.