Old School is working again! Old School is working again! Old School is working again! Old School is working again!

Default Old School is working again!

Fished Friday and Saturday in the wide area of 35-40' depth between Lucy's Point and the border...on down to the north side of Kellys Island. No surprise I landed about 5 shorts for every keeper walleye. I found my fair share of fish with bandits 90 back off planer boards. I often fish alone, and when the wind & waves kick up it can be challenging to single-hand the boat, the rods, the planer boards, and the net; even with remote steering capability.

Trying to adapt to some of the windy periods, I learned by chance that doubling my line out allowed me to long line crankbaits with good results. Walleyes on bandits 180 back from 7' rods. That old school success caused me to try another method when I settled in to drift. Pulled out my 35 year old box of erie dearies and caught fish with 1/2 worm and a slow retrieve from the bottom to the surface.

I would never abandon all the new methods or my thousands of dollars in marine electronics, but it was fun to be reminded that old school methods like long lining crankbaits way back, or casting erie dearies still works. Think I'll pull out my collection of Hot n Tots next time and give 'em a try
    CaptKen
    "Lucky Luna" Channel 68
    SeaRay Amberjack 290
    Twin Mag 350s/v-drives
    Simrad NSX 12
    Simrad AP44 Autopilot
    FishHawk X2

That's Great to hear! My dad, wife and I are heading up at the end of the month through the 4th... I spent my childhood summers on Erie but haven't been back in over 15 years after my dads best friend and fishing buddy passed away. They drifted the reefs and slammed big eyes for over 35 years together... I'm gathering that technique has changed dramatically over the past 15 yrs but surely I will be able to put my ol man on some fish with good ol Erie dearies and crawlers in a weeks time. Don't know how many more opportunities I'll have to fish with him up there. It's where and how he introduced me to fishing .. good luck 🍀