East Of Kelly's or 40 fow Question East Of Kelly's or 40 fow Question East Of Kelly's or 40 fow Question East Of Kelly's or 40 fow Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default East Of Kelly's or 40 fow Question

Hey, been fishing the lake for a number of years now (4-5 but I'm 33 and have live in Toledo for only 8 years). One area we've yet to fish is east of Kelly's or spend much time in 40 fow period. When trolling those waters, say you have 4 or 6 lines (boards obviously) out, what parts of the water column do usually start targeting. I realize this is relative to what you see on the finder and changes through the day depending on where they are hitting but what is a good starting point for 4-6 lines? 40 fow.

It depends on where the fish are? We mark fish from the bottom to about 26-28 and sometime higher. A good rule when trolling boards is the 50-50 rule using snap weights. I would start a 1oz and go to 2 sometimes 3 oz snap. Try different weights on each pole to see where the fish are biting. Just remember one thing never put your baits below the fish. Walleye always strikes from below the baits. Hope this helps

This time of year. For the East side of Kelly's. I'd be pullin meat. Run closer to shore. There are a few humps out there. Run the closest to shore board with 10ft of line out behind the board using 1oz inline. Next board, 20ft of line, again 1 oz inline. Deep side, 45 out and 65 out. Running 1.2 average MPH. Big blades, #5 up to #8.
    When you get to the one larger hump. Note which direction the walleye are taking the bait. Once you find that direction, stay with that direction for a while. Running back up/down. If that makes sense. You will be fishing around the "airport" area. Long passes.
    Out deeper, 25/35/45/55/65 again 1oz inlines, 1.2 MPH average and a 3oz bouncer off one corner. Adjust as required.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

So basically anywhere from the bottom to the top of the water column? Didn't know if fish down at the bottom in 40 fow are usually feeding. I use jets to get my lines down.

I went to Epabca I think walleye charter school in April they were asked that question and 3 of the 5 captains said find the thermocline fish right above it they use a fish hawk to find it also said it was possible to find it with your fish finder

Quote Originally Posted by Pauken23 View Post
    So basically anywhere from the bottom to the top of the water column? Didn't know if fish down at the bottom in 40 fow are usually feeding. I use jets to get my lines down.
    Yes cover the water column. Let the fish tell you where the active fish are biting. And adjust from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Genevarick View Post
    I went to Epabca I think walleye charter school in April they were asked that question and 3 of the 5 captains said find the thermocline fish right above it they use a fish hawk to find it also said it was possible to find it with your fish finder
    Thanks! I figured to cover the entire column but typically fish on the bottom in 40ft aren't really feeding from my experience. Also, I know at those depths a thermocline will form. Fish trout at the thermocline. Useful infor from you and ebijack. Thanks!!!

So maybe a line in the top 10ft, a few lines 15-25 and a line or two just off bottom? Obviously switch over to where they're biting. Also, I know to just put it where you're reading fish but also know the finder can miss fish in the top parts of the column.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauken23 View Post
    typically fish on the bottom in 40ft aren't really feeding from my experience.
    They may not be "feeding". But they are very catchable pulling meat. Most days I'd say 1/3 of the fish come off bottom IMHE.

Don't forget walleyes feed "UP" so set up above the marks