quick question quick question quick question quick question

Thread: quick question

Default quick question

For bandits I understand no need to use divers (Jets or Dipsys). Seems easy, just attach a swivel and experiment with 40, 50, 60 ft of line out etc...? This time of year what would be second choice, reef runners, harnesses behind divers? My knowledge is pretty basic. I come from the 1980s drift fishing era! Going to Niagra Reef area most likely, its what I know.

Blog Entries

Your thoughts on bandits are correct. Also no need for Jet or Dipsy in front of Reef Runners if they are correct size. Yes crawlers behind a diver. Always the same with any bait on how much line to let out for depth control. Start out with staggered depths and hopefully fish will let you know what depth they want to bite at. Good Luck.

IF youre gonna use cranks want a clip and not a swivel.For bandits I would start with leads of 30,40,50,60.We limited both times out and the fish were hitting our 40 and 50 leads.My second choice for wed,if you get out would be reefrunners.They work better as the water warms and are going faster.I would start running a few worm harness in mid MAY and see if the cranks or harnesses are working better.Good luck.The fishing will not be very productive during the wind and lows we will see this week.Got big wind forcast to Sunday.

Sorry eriederie but meant want to use a duolock snap instead of a swivel for trolling crankbaits.They are made to give freedom of the crank to work properly.Also make sure straight part of snap is facing up,not down.If that metal projection is down could hit plastic bill on crank and effect its action.I didn't know this for years till was told by a veteran troller.

Bandits will catch fish for a while yet and as itsbob mentioned, use a duolock snap instead of a snap swivel in size #2. Also a big mistake a lot of people make is to not make sure your crankbaits are tuned to run true. Drop them back on 8-10' of line and watch them run behind your rod tip to see if they try to go right or left. If they do you'll need to gingerly bend the eye on the bait toward the direction it's trying to swim until it tracks strait back and down.

If you run jets with harnesses at the same time as Bandits be sure to use single or double willow blades. At effective crankbait speed colorado blades spin out and twist up your harnesses. Another option that is cheaper than jets or true trips is to use in-line weights to troll harnesses. 3/4, 1, 1.5, and 2 ounce weights will cover most of your harness depths.

Good luck!

Captain Eric