Well, I can tell you where they AREN'T biting Well, I can tell you where they AREN'T biting Well, I can tell you where they AREN'T biting Well, I can tell you where they AREN'T biting

Default Well, I can tell you where they AREN'T biting

I got the boat in yesterday. Did the oil change this morning, got some yard work done ahead of the rain, and went out fishing for a few hours in the afternoon.

Given I was by myself I didn't feel like setting up the trolling gear. Too hard to do by yourself in a 24 foot boat. Not that I haven't, just didn't feel like it for a few hours. Nor did I feel like hauling out to the reefs on the firing line from East Harbor.

So I hit up West Harbor reef, Starve Island Reef, and Mouse Island Reef. There was a nice southerly breeze so I left a worm harness out on one pole, and jigged with another. Tried purple, gold, and black. I never overlook these reefs early in the year, or for that matter in the summer right before/after dusk, as the 'eyes sometimes chase the baitfish into the shallows there. But while they are usually reliable to produce a fish or two, I can't say I've ever really killed them there either. Good choice for a quick 3-4 hour trip though.

Results are:

1 decent white bass. 14 1/2".
    10 sheephead, ranging from 20" to 26".
    1 monster channel cat. Really thought I had a hog walleye on, as they fight similarly. Spent 10 minutes bringing him in. 35" beast. Second biggest channel cat I've ever caught.

Fine for what it was. Weather tomorrow and Sunday is supposed to stink. My pop is going to come up Sunday and maybe we'll go out Monday, if the weather is decent.

Default Reefs

I have to say, my biggest frustration over the years going out of catawba/WHarbor is anytime I see the near reefs listed on the board at the bait shpss, I get fooled into trying them. For whatever reason for me personally, NEVER EVER have got into fish on those near reefs! When you add in traffic I just avoid them now.