Drifting Drifting Drifting Drifting

Thread: Drifting

Default Drifting

what is a good speed for drift fishing for walleye jigging or crankbaits? I have a smaller boat that seems it drifts too fast and was wondering if anyone watches their speed.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Unusual question in that you say "jigging or crankbaits." Hardly anyone uses crankbaits while drifting. You could use a crankbait if the wind speed was fast enough so you could leave it out, but otherwise with the limited casting range the crankbait wouldn't stay in the fish zone (depth) very long unless the fish are near the surface.

You can slow down your drift by using a "drift sock" which is a funnel shaped device you deploy overboard which creates drag and slows the boat's drift. Most people just use a heavier lure of put some weight on the line. You may also slow your retrieve or don't retrieve at all (better since it keeps the lure in the fish zone/depth the longest).

As far as the best speed, it would probably depend on the day and the design of the lure used. The most important factor is keeping the lure in the "fish zone" which is the depth where the walleye you are targeting are at. So whatever speed achieves this is probably going to be the best speed.
    Last edited by West Basin; 04-23-2017 at 07:13 AM. Reason: add content

Thank you for the response, my gps was saying I was drifting around 2 mph and it was hard to keep my lure on the bottom even with a drift sock I was around 1.2/1.5 mph I just wasn't sure if that was a usual speed or if i should get a bigger drift sock

Usually around .5 to 1.0 mph is about right. With a 3/4 or 1 oz hair jig, you should be able to touch bttom at least every 3rd or 4th lift. Hope this helps