Never owned a Mercury Never owned a Mercury Never owned a Mercury Never owned a Mercury
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Never owned a Mercury

Looking at going from Lund to Ranger 621. My only issue is the Ranger comes with a 300 Verado. I have always been a Yamaha person. Anybody got an opinion on this. I've owned Rangers and loved them when I did. But I'm buying a used boat and don't have the choice of motor I am use to. The year of the motor is 2010 with about 160 hours.

Stick with Yamaha.

Ford or Chevy? Same argument. They're all equal at this point. No complaints on the Mercs we've had.

Friends don't let friends buy a Merc, don't start now.

2008 175 Verado, best engine I've ever had, Always starts, low maintenance, very quiet and very economical to run my Fish hawk 1900 Crestliner around the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by fish4ever View Post
    Looking at going from Lund to Ranger 621. My only issue is the Ranger comes with a 300 Verado. I have always been a Yamaha person. Anybody got an opinion on this. I've owned Rangers and loved them when I did. But I'm buying a used boat and don't have the choice of motor I am use to. The year of the motor is 2010 with about 160 hours.
    I just traded 619 ranger 200 vmax hpdi on it great great motor, now have 620 ranger 250 mere verado same engine as 300 just a different chip for 50 more horsepower , this is a great motor also, although 4 stroke was different for me, very very quite. Both yammahas and mercs are great. Just a personal preference. Verado very easy to change oil and filter and lower unit oil. Again both have been very good to me. Although I do miss the howl and smell of the vmax, I know its kind of weird lol. Often times I forget the Verados running when sitting still. My 9.9 is way louder than the 250!! You can't go wrong either way if they are both taken care of. Kevin

Thanks For all your input. The dealer promised to stand behind me on this decision of changing brands. So it looks like i'm going to own my first Mercury. I have some real good friends in Canada that are guides. They all run Verado's and have great success. One of them has almost 800 hours on it. I'm lucky if I do 25 a year. Think I should be just fine. Thanks again. The next post I do will be about how many and how far back at what speed.

sorry my typing is not the best, few misspelled words. You will be happy with the Verado. Heck all the brands are good, just your preference, again this engine is very quiet you will be amazed. Once you have it make sure the trim tabs that the dealer sets up are adjusted for your liking. My dealer tweaked mine and it added 6 mph. My boat will go 58mph by gps. I know speed is not everything but once in a while it is fun just be safe. We are planning on making the 15 hour drive out this next Friday for a week. Hopefully the weather is manageable . Good luck.

I have owned 4 mercury outboards 2 verado 300 and 2 15hp Mercury bigfoot. I had problems with all 4. OCM on the first verado. Right from dealership. Lost all oil in the first mile. Lower units on the bigfoots. All were under warranty but I was without my boat for months. I won't be buying Mercury motors again. My advice, get the extended warranties and roll them right into your payments. You will need them down the road.

I have a 2006 Verado 150 on my center console. It's been a good motor. Quiet and good on fuel. No major issues. Bought the boat used and it had about 200 hours on it. I'd guess I'm around 500 now.