April Perch April Perch April Perch April Perch

Thread: April Perch

hindy Guest

Default April Perch

I'm looking to come out in April, around the Port Clinton area for some eyes. My question is what if the weather does not help me out and the wind blows me off the main lake, are there any bays or out of the wind places where a guy could possibly catch some perch or something to put in the frying pan? Just looking to make the most out my trip. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

hot-n-tot501 Guest

Well, from the way you talk, you trailer your boat around to different laucnch sites. In my oppinion, if u launch out of port clinton in april and it's too rough and muddy for walleye fishin on the main lake, ur sol for perch as well. There's not really a place to get out of the wind to produce good catches of perch. If it were me, i'd launch out of the Mazurik State Dock in Marblehead. That way, if the water is fine, you can go north of kelleys and get your eyes just off the edges of the reefs, and if there is a strong wind out of the north and it's muddy, you can always just wrap around the penninsula and fish off of bay point. Actually, the perchin was good enough last april between the lighthouse and bay point that i didn't even mess with walleye fishing that much. Yeah, off the lighthouse is an april hotspot for nice perch as well as alot of them. Well, good luck!

hindy Guest

Thanks for the reply Hot-n-tot. Kinda what I figured. When the wind Gods decide to howl there is really no escaping them out there. This will be my 4th time out on Erie. The first three times we were in a 16ft Lund, pulling boards around the cans. Had pretty good luck but also had one long trip back in one afternoon. Lets just say there were some prayers said and we were all very happy to step foot on dry ground. The weather is such a factor out there. This year we will be in a 21ft Tyhee, so we should be able handle the weather/wind a little better. Good Luck to Ya.