Jan 21 Walleye report Jan 21 Walleye report Jan 21 Walleye report Jan 21 Walleye report

Default Jan 21 Walleye report

Jan 21 Walleye report-img_20170121_105758695-jpg

Launched out of Huron about 8 am. Parking lot was already full. North to dumping ground and trolled DJ's Bandits North with 2 oz. 60 to 85 back at 1 mph +-. Picked up this nice one and a few more. Lots of jigging around us and the radio chatter sounded like jigging was working but also heard a lot of smalls jigging too.

Was a good day to be on Lake Erie water in January. 2017 Fishing Season has begun! Cheers!
    Dave(snothere)
    2352 Trophy Hardtop WA
    Channel Grove Marina
    Sammy the Lucky Golden

Nice fish, just for my own info here, what depth do you think you were running at with the 2oz added. 60-85 with no weight should be 15-18ft down. Just wondered how much gain in depth the 2oz gives. Also how far in front do you normally run it.

I heard it was a tougher day out there, wondered if the boat traffic moved the fish around. I heard report from 2 days ago the pattern was very similar to what we had run in nov. Nothing deep all fish came in that 15-18ft area, but today it did not seem as effective. But who I heard from did punch their 3 tickets, but took them most of the day. They said most fish were 7+pounds though.

Don't know for sure but maybe someone here can do the math.

I have used the 30-30, etc. method but this time, with DJ's advice, we tried the 2 oz. about 15' back and then out a total of 65' - 85'. So, 15-40 to 15-60, right? These two lines were both run with no boards, straight back, and straight up in the rod holders on a Trophy (higher off water than a ranger) on 7 ' rods. Used the same setup behind boards (deeper right?) and caught one but the straight lines caught the rest. Ran outside lines at 75' - 85' with no weights and no luck on those two. All Bandits.

Keep in mind last year was my first year back after 15 years off, I am a rookie but learning, Thanks to all of you!

We marked groups of fish on the bottom and on the small rises out on N. side of dump (new material from Huron dredging last fall?) and lots of jiggers in those pockets. Probably should have parked it and jigged but we had no minnows.

You in Northern Richland also Branham?
    Dave(snothere)
    2352 Trophy Hardtop WA
    Channel Grove Marina
    Sammy the Lucky Golden

I live in mansfield, my father lives in shelby.

thanks for the report we tried middle harbor reef - scotts point shoal - west of green then again at middle harbor only got one here 1st time we were there. scotts point shoal screen was loaded trolled huskys bandits perfect 10s just not our day 80 trailers in mazuriks lot someone had to get them

http://www.fishhawkelectronics.com/m...s/fish-hawk-td

Make it easy seeing what depth your running. I used it on my leadcore with different lures and it was consistent. I leave the board off and let it run a few minutes to settle down. then clip it on the line and let it run to the lure.

We did great jigging and would of stuck with it but our shiners were not the best. Most were really really small but when we had good ones on the walleye responded. We were eest of Kelly's and northwest of all the boats. we were alone there. Good luck and maybe another warmup we get to do it again.
    Last edited by jeepdude64; 01-23-2017 at 05:46 PM.

interesting davesnothere on those rods that were not on boards caught the most and right behind the boat.Those rods were definitely shallower than if placed on a board,but by how much would be hard to guess.The height of the rods off the water and the amount of line out behind the boat till goes in water.The trollers say that each 1oz ads 4ft of depth.I also think that the further down line adding the sinker will be deeper than if sinker closer to surface.Let say put on 2oz sinker after 15ft then 50 more to board for total of 65 would go deeper than if put sinker 35ft from lure then put another 30 to board for total of 65 again.I would guess this setup would only change depth of 1-2ft though.Most guys are putting weight 20ft from lure and changing the lead after weight to board.Think this way easier to use if get info over radio on leads and weights catching fish.