Boat painting Boat painting Boat painting Boat painting

Thread: Boat painting

Default Boat painting

I have a 23' aluminum boat that I would like to get painted this off season. Im looking for suggestions on where to go as i have no idea.

I finally had mine done at The Boat Guy in east Toledo. Talk to Bryan, 419-260-0956. Having an aluminum boat you have to be aware of the types of paint one uses. I had mine done in 2015 and it was done with a all purpose boat paint WRONG, it pitted the
    aluminum due to electrolysis that is generated thru the water by passing boats, sitting in the docks, including the electricity of your
    your own boat. Look at my post in August "Kathy Mae Is Home" pics were posted when I got her home from another wacko in Hamtramick, Mi. who promised to be done in 2-3 wks. Finally got it back 4 mo. later with nothing done but a wire brush to the hull.
    Wished I took pics after being finished but was to eager to go fishing.

Gene

Sorry, post and pics were in the lounge.

Gene

thanks for the advice

With the aluminum fenders and other body parts on todays cars and trucks any good auto body/paint shop should be very well informed on how to paint an aluminum hulled boat. In the "I-Boats" forum many have painted their own alum boats and give great advice on the types of paint and primer needed to give excellent results.

I would call drawbridge marina. They run several head boats that are either steel or aluminum hull. I bet they know how and what to put on it. When u had my 27 ft er fiberglass hull done, they sanded, expoy primer with 3 coats, then 3 coats of paint with 4th at waterline, was only 500 plus material. I bought west marine paint, some time around news years the last few year it goes on a buy one get one sale. This was my 3rd season in it, and it will finally need a few new coats. Getting thin from use and I scuba mine through the year with a brush ever few weeks. But at the end if the season the slim just pressure rinses right off.

It sounds like some replies are talking about bottom/anti-fouling paint and some are talking about above the waterline paint. You might want to be more specific in your reference to painting. I myself assumed you were asking about painting above the waterline, but now I am not too sure.

I am talking about the above the waterline painting i particularly the blue stripe.Boat painting-025c6b395a2600002f200003-attachment-1-2016062695181540-jpg the previous owner felt the best thing to do everytime he scratched the boat was to spray paint the area.

Sent you a PM.