Question - Releasing Live Chubs and Golden Shiners Question - Releasing Live Chubs and Golden Shiners Question - Releasing Live Chubs and Golden Shiners Question - Releasing Live Chubs and Golden Shiners

Default Question - Releasing Live Chubs and Golden Shiners

Does anyone know whether it really is ok to let these minnows go after fishing? I asked at Rickard's and he said that there are golden shiners caught in the lake with the emerald shiners. But the ones we are buying are from Arkansas. The ones they catch could be survivors / reproduced minnows from Arkansas shiners released previously.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

The general rule is if the bait came from the waterway, here Lake Erie, then it is OK to release it. If not, then don't. The other factor is you don't know what's in the water, especially if you bought the bait outside the Lake Erie watershed.

Golden Shiners are native to Ohio and probably (I say probably because ODW doesn't specifically say they are) Lake Erie. ODW does say "Because they are a very popular baitfish many public reservoirs have small populations from fisherman releasing unused bait." They are in Lake Erie. So releasing then probably isn't going to harm anything, but I wouldn't, just because if they are from out-of-state you never really know what you are releasing. If you can't save them for next time give them to someone back at the dock or ramp, or take them back to the bait shop (don't know if they will take them, but why not ask? Waste not want not).

As stated, we really don't know what kind of fish is mixed in. I think the biggest fear us releasing baby Asian and or big head carp then if they take hold you can kis enjoying the lake as we know it good bye.

Only takes a few seconds to bag and toss them., we bag ours right away and put on ice, dry hands, no chasing minnows all over the boat. As long as on ice they stay firm.

Link to what tiny big head and asain look lik. Asain look alot like our emeralds and big heads alot like goldens.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what...AL42Dv5c7cM%3A

I think in some states its illegal to release your bait back into the lake. but I don't know what the law is in ohio.

Put leftover minnows in rubbing alcohol or cheap vodka and freeze until the next time you go out. Sometimes better then fresh ones.

It is illegal to release fish into waters they did not come from. So, if the bait came out of Lake Erie, then it can be released back in. If it comes from another body of water, then they need to be disposed of. I have been disposing of mine with the other fish guts/bones.

Thanks for the input. I didn't think it was right when Rickards said it was ok. I was letting them die in the bucket then dumping them, but the point about the Asian carp and the water maybe is a bigger threat.

Unfortunately. I think there are s lot if fisherman dumping their minows