Boat shifts into reverse but not forward? Boat shifts into reverse but not forward? Boat shifts into reverse but not forward? Boat shifts into reverse but not forward?

Default Boat shifts into reverse but not forward?

My father-in-laws boat will shift into reverse but not forward. He was able to get to the engine and manually shift it into gear and it ran fine. Any ideas on the issue? Shift cable adjustment maybe?

Thanks
    -2014 Tahoe Q5SF named "Fish-N-Tails"
    Tight Lines!

Sounds like the cable is broke

You may want to list some details. Engine make/model, I/O, Outboard, Inboard.

I had a similar issue with my Mercruiser 470 IO. I ended up having to have the lower unit rebuilt. I think they said that the clutch dogs were worn. I was able to put pressure on the linkage and have the wife bring us in. The cable was fine.
    2003 Wellcraft Coastal 270

Quote Originally Posted by sloch24 View Post
    You may want to list some details. Engine make/model, I/O, Outboard, Inboard.

I had a similar issue with my Mercruiser 470 IO. I ended up having to have the lower unit rebuilt. I think they said that the clutch dogs were worn. I was able to put pressure on the linkage and have the wife bring us in. The cable was fine.
    It's a small block mercruiser IO. Worked fine the last few times. Yesterday he went out to B can to fish. He tried moving after little action and that's when it wouldn't engage forward. He was able to engage it manually somehow and then drove it back in without issue.

Sounds just like my issue. Mine was a Merc Alpha One. As long as I held pressure on the shift linkage (bolted on the engine), it would run in forward. If I let go, it would pop out of gear.

Mine worked great until it didn't.... No warning.

It could be cable stretch and just need an adjustment. If it went into gear and stayed there for the trip in, he might get lucky with an adjustment. I wasn't so lucky.
    2003 Wellcraft Coastal 270

I hear you can really get the speed down trolling in reverse.. Sorry I couldn't resist. Hopefully it's just a linkage adjustment.

There are 2 shift cables on those alpha out drives, one from the helm to the shift interrupter/positive neutral switch assembly and the second one from the same assembly to the lower unit. if he could hold it in by hand and get back then the shift cable to the lower unit is probably good. The cable from the helm to the positive neutral/shift interrupter assembly usually wear out where they make a bend going to the engine compartment. Usually a wire breaks and then eventually wears thru the cable cover and sticks out of the cover and will not let the cable move into the forward position. In other words it will move in one direction just fine but will not go the other direction once the shifter is in the neutral position.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Two cables look at YOUTUBE on how to adjust them adjust both than one has a slot to adjust locking into gear, easy to do in 15 minutes. Check the outdrive oil make sure no water in it. if adjustment with in specs replace the lower cable, you can save about $400 by doing yourself not hard to do watch YOUTUBE videos. Part can be bought on EBAY. only special tool needed is a 9/16 deep socket you will need to grind down just buy a cheep one. If you can remove and reinstall the outdrive you have completed the hardest part .. Again many videos on YOUTUBE and threads on Google .