Re-powering Re-powering Re-powering Re-powering

Thread: Re-powering

Default Re-powering

Well took my new to me boat out for a test run. After running it slow, opened it up, ran great for about 3 min. Then started rattling and banging....not good. Loaded it up, took it to mechanic, said it sounded like a rod problem.
    Instead of putting money into a 1996 200 efi merc, I think I am gonna re power with a 4 stroke.
    Boat is a 22 foot CC . Rated for up to 225 hp. Any suggestions on who could do the re power, what motor i should by...yamaha, honda, suzuki, tohatsu...etc. and if there is any value in the sick mercury. Located in southern michigan, near ohio and Indiana state lines, but willing to drive for good prices and service.. thanks for the help in advance

I have heard nothing but good from outboard motor service in port clinton, though thankfully never had to use them.

If you can reuse all your controls and cables sticking with the same manufacturer might save some money. But given the age differance it might not.

Not sure buy sometimes just a new power head is only 3 or 4k as compared to 14 or 15k for a complete repower

Before jumping the gun, find out what is wrong. As far as repowering, You will have to stick to Merc or ( I can't remember who) a Co with the same bolt pattern on the transom. Some other Co. have a different bolt pattern which would entail plugging/drill new holes. Like mentioned, you might need all new controls (throttle, gauges etc) which are typically $500 and up. New/rebuilt power head should be your cheapest option. Going to a 4 stroke, your going to be adding weight to the transom. Depending on the year of the boat, the 4 stroke might be to heavy. The boat will not respond the same. You typically would need a new/different prop going to a 4 stroke also. Due to the performance/weight of the 4 stroke.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Bistate marine in erie on summit st. I got a 150 suzuki outboard, the thing is amazing how quiet it is when idling.runs lime hell,6 yr factory warranty

Thanks for the input....the reason I was thinking 4 stroke is b.c I want to troll some, and I think I can dial a 4 stroke down slow enough to get to speed, and not have to deal with a kicker and custom rigging to mount the kicker.

On amother note, the motor that is sick, which came on the boat, I have no idea what kind of hours or wear and tear it had on it.... mechanic seemed to think it was a different powerhead as it was.
    So with that said, peace of mind, and safety on the big water are worth more to me than saving some money on that old piece of s.....

Quote Originally Posted by Whopper View Post
    Thanks for the input....the reason I was thinking 4 stroke is b.c I want to troll some, and I think I can dial a 4 stroke down slow enough to get to speed, and not have to deal with a kicker and custom rigging to mount the kicker.
    I do not believe you would see any difference in your idle trolling speed. 2 stroke/4 stroke. They both idle around the same RPM. Also, 4 strokes at idle have the lowest oil pressure the engine has/sees and as bearings etc wear you have lower oil pressure. Those are the worst conditions for long periods. The 2 strokes have oil suspended in their roller bearings ( they do not have/use regular style 4 stroke bearings) and do not have any oil pressure to speak of.

Love my 200hp Mercury Verado (Inline 4cyl). I have the smart gauges and can control the RPM when trolling from 550rpm to 1000rpm in 10rpm increments. Very good on fuel also.

I love my older 115hp 2 stroke evinrude. Mine is an 82 starts up easy, plenty of power, trolls nice even down below 1mph. I just use larger bags for very slow and smaller ones for summer speed around 2mph.

I have no clue how many hrs, sat 6 years before I got it, no issues since I have had it. This motor is by far smoother, quiter, and more powerful than the force models i owned previously.

Just a couple of notes. Merc has the largest dealer network for repair and parts. Try getting parts for some of the other brands and someone to work on them. Yamaha is doing a good job of getting more dealers and parts available.
    A new power head does not include new carbs etc. All those parts are reused off your current engine. But you can probably get 3 power heads for the price of one new complete engine/controls pkgs. Just a thought.
    Last edited by ebijack; 08-25-2016 at 04:25 AM.