stinger help from fishermen stinger help from fishermen stinger help from fishermen stinger help from fishermen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default stinger help from fishermen

ok im starting to make up my stingers for spring hair jigs i have no 4,6,and 8 size treble hooks in red,bronze, and the silver chrome colors how long and what colors do you like on most stingers seems the most popular has been a no 8 bronze treble 2 1/2 inches long with red plasti dip for the split ring this is what i put on the majority of my jigs unless asked for something different. something new this year is the make your own color plasti dip green on green purple on purple pink on pink do you think color makes a difference starting early this year because i made 2 thousand stingers up and thought i had enough so i could just make jigs but bait shop bought them all and got an order for 3 thousand more that i could not make due to making hair jigs i was working 16 hours a day from 7 am to sometimes 4 the next morning so im looking to get at least 5 thousand made last year i went through 8 thousand and didn't get all orders filled last year they are 20 pound wire not mono approx 2 1/2 inches long this year ill have blood red stingers with red trebles, blood red 20 pound wire and red rubber on split rings. whats your opinion on color, length, and hook size. thanks for your help

Does the color of the stringer really make that big of differsnce..........I would not think so.... but maybe others think it does

IMHO I have not seen where the hook color (main or stinger) had made any difference. It is just more a confidence thing. Being a long time Detroit river rat, I have tried a lot of things.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

what about the length had a customer say 2 1/2 inches was to long he was from out of town and wanted to know where would you get 2 1/2 inch minnows told him our walleye minnows were at least that long then he bought 3 dozen hair jigs

personally the stingers made from wire and attached at eyelet prob hang 1 inch past main hook are what I prefer. bigger the better as far as size. jmo

I like em about 2-1/2 inches long. Just about right once their slipped on a hook, bury right in the minnows back..

if i make a 1 inch stinger by the time i use the 2 sleeves which are a 1/4 inch long theirs not much wire left would you attach at the main hook i have thought of making mine short for the simple reason that i jig hard pound the bottom and the stinger can get wrapped around the jig eye but i catch fish last year i used a 1 ounce dark purple with a strip of flash and i caught bigger fish while there was days the boat landed a lot of shorts i was catching 3-5 pound fish and then i lost it i was using 15 pound braid the fish was huge seen it then it dove down by the out drive line got cut probably on prop me with 3 hundred jigs on the boat had to go home and make a dozen then got sick and never made it out again

Sure beats getting sick from losing a 34" fish half way in the net but hung to the net on a bandit, I'm still sick but will recover,as soon as I get to fish for eyes soon!

im sick for you i have not seen a 34 inch fish come in my boat in 35 years of trying funny thing 2015 jig season our canal was closed for dredging so we moved buddys boat to wildwings first trip 8-10 ft of water 2 - 12 pound fish females and caught females in there the first 3-4 trips i even got a 10 pound male there with quick limits on jigs. this year no females and i can count on 1 hand the females we caught on the jig over the past seasons. but nothing wrong with a cooler full of smaller jacks

Well I hate to say it but the odds of getting another fish that size to the net again, would be like hitting the lottery twice,something I'll never forget though. What a exceptional fishery.