Fishing Regualtions Fishing Regualtions Fishing Regualtions Fishing Regualtions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fishing Regualtions

I have a question about fishing laws, really don't want to loose by boat over a few fish. Here is the scenario, if my wife and I go fishing some evening and catch our limit in perch but get back to late to take them to the fish cleaner so we decide to pack them in ice and take them in the morning to get cleaned, is it legal for us to go fishing and bring another limit to the cleaner the same day, even though we caught the first batch the day before? Please keep in mind this is strictly hypothetical, it is very unlikely that we would catch our limit in perch that quick but I guess I doesn't hurt to dream a little, right?

Pretty sure you can just don't take yesterday's catch out with you in the boat.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

If you take the perch back to your hotel/camper/house that one thing, but the next day when you haul two limits of un-cleaned fish to the cleaners is where you could get into trouble. I would clean the first limit myself and then take the next days limit to the cleaner. Or make two trips. You are not supposed to have more than one days limit of fish while at the water, even in your truck or car. It is all about proof and it is hard to prove well enough to please the ODNR. That's what I have gathered from a lot of input from the wisdom of those on this site. Call the ODNR Findlay office. I have gotten a different story from them but I am too leery to go with it.

Good luck
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

To be safe I would take the new catch to a different cleaners. I say that because cleaners are required to keep a log of what is brought in to be cleaned along with the name and address of the person they are doing the cleaning for. It may look suspicious if they see the same name or address or both on the same days log. They normally do not put the number of perch caught on the register/log but I believe they do record the wt. of the perch. The same name and address with 2 entries on the register in the same day and with wt's high enough may raise the red flag for that name or address.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Or there could have been 5/6 people on the boat and only 2 brought the fish in?

there has been years when my freezer is full of fish but i still want to go fishing we take a crew of 6 get limit and maybe 2 people take the fish they are caught legal and took to a bait shop for cleaning and i have been on charters with my kids and family when i took 8 limits in with my address i could of really been fined say 30 is the limit and i had 240 perch unless the captain has a log book i got a buddy that never keeps fish we get limits and i take all the fish

I think when you're on the lake or at the dock it is a matter of your limit. Once you are "away" from the lake it becomes a matter of what you are allowed to possess. They can't check your freezer to see if you are over your limit. I have taken many limits to the cleaners for people on my boat and never had any problem what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    I think when you're on the lake or at the dock it is a matter of your limit. Once you are "away" from the lake it becomes a matter of what you are allowed to possess. They can't check your freezer to see if you are over your limit. I have taken many limits to the cleaners for people on my boat and never had any problem what so ever.
    Oh yes they can check your freezer. Game warden doesn't even need a warrant. Be carful

You are absolutely correct there.....according to the law you are required to date and maintain the license for the year those fish are caught until that years catch is depleted from your possession. Now are they going to come in your house and enforce that? Probably not.. but that is the law. According to Ohio game wardens it is also unlawfull to cath fish beyond your limit and put them into someone elses cooler! Once you have caught your limit you can only catch and release by law. Sharing fish with others is "technically" illegal according to the law but enforcing it is another thing. Getting back to the posters original question... if your taking more than one days catch in to the cleaners simply use another name just in case. But....if they should decide to check you while traveling home from the cleaners and you have more than your licenses allow then you are over limit and it gets expensive. According to a dnr friend...take along two coolers and make them believe you are picking up a batch for your neighbor or brother or somebody and you shouldn't have any problem. Game wardens are not out for blood unless they know your hiding something serious....then lookout!

Quote Originally Posted by Bggeary View Post
    Oh yes they can check your freezer. Game warden doesn't even need a warrant. Be carful
    What I said was they can't check your freezer for your limit. It becomes possession at that point. You can possess more than your limit.